Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Hi, I'm new and know nothing...

...but I'd love to learn. I've been lurking here for about a week and a half and I can't stop reading! Honestly though, some of the members know so much it's almost intimidating. I feel so dumb! Luckily, I have a feeling gaining knowledge of bourbon will be very fun. Thanks!

Taster
    Oh I forgot to mention the bourbons I've tried. Just like everyone I've had the ol' supermarket Jim Beam (and have always hated it) and have had some Old Grand Dad 114. The OGD was given to me as a gift (I have no idea why) and surprisingly I liked the taste. I always though something 114 proof would destroy my mouth but it was smoother than I thought.

Connoisseur
    Welcome to the board!! Lucky for you, Chicagoland has some great bourbon shopping. There is an awesome store right near called Binny's. The best advice is to just go out, buy some bottles and see what you like. Maybe, try to get a bottle from each of the distilleries, and see if one works better than the other for you. There are a bunch of great people here to help you out, you'll see.

Taster
    I like that advice! On my lunch hour I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace. After reading so many great reviews of it and not having to shell out much money, I decided to give it a whirl. I'll be cracking that thing open tonight

Administrator in exile
    Welcome to the board Mike Don't feel intimidated around here, we were all novices at one time. The folks here are full of information and like to help. It's a fun journey!
    Last edited by jeff; 09-29-2006 at 13:28.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    Let me add my welcome as well!

The best advice I can give is explore and enjoy...
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    The first step is admitting you have a problem. The problem is you never have enough Bourbon.

Welcome aboard, nice to have you here.

I'm an Old Grand-Dad fan, try the BIB 100 proof sometime, it's a pretty good, inexpensive pour. I like the 114 as well. You should have Weller 12 year old available to you there at a very reasonable price, which I like too.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Taster
    I'm sure I'll explore and enjoy but it just seems so overwhelming. There are SO many kinds of bourbons and when I read posts that say someone has 80 open bottles I can't imagine even buying 80 bottles in the span of a decade! How does everyone keep them all straight?

Is there any sort of cheat sheet of "must haves" that I should start with? Thanks again to all for the warm welcome!

As Jeremy noted, you have access to several 'goodies' in Chicago environs many of us with we could easily find -- e.g., Rittenhouse rye (BIB and 80 proof), and Ancient Ancient Age 10yo. You'll get more than a little change from a $20 for either. Check out the 'Bourbon of the Month' thread, where many potential winners reside.
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Hey Tim,

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking they don't have the AAA 10year old in the Windy City.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004