Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Itís a good bourbon but it is something that I seldom buy. Itís something to buy in a bar because this is usually the best bourbon most bars have imo. I think a lot of itís popularity is because of itís nice packaging, this is after all what got me to try bourbon; I was in the liquor store wanting to try something new and I saw this oddly shaped bottle with a wax seal and bought it. I havenít had this one in a while but if I recall correctly this bourbon leaves something to be desired because of its price. To put things into perspective a bottle of MM costs $26 or $27, a bottle of WT101 costís about $21 so for the cost of the MM I can get a much better, stronger bourbon and a pack of smokes (well, sometimes and depending on the store). But overall, as I said before, itís a good bourbon. Last time I was in Atlantic City I was a bit disappointed that this was the best the bar at Caesars Palace had to offer me but I ordered a double in a snifter ($12!!!) and found it even more enjoyable than I remembered, it was even from a fresh bottle too.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Ah.... Makers. I love Makers. I really do. This was the bourbon that got me into bourbon, and there's a LOT to be said for that

I do not consider it a premium priced bourbon, as it's in the same price range as WT101 (and if you read the sept BOTM thread, you know what I think of that), ETL and Eagle Rare 10 Year Old. It's quite a bit less than Elijah Craig 18 year old, Rock Hill, Blanton's etc.

Is Maker's Mark my favorite bourbon? No. That honor goes to Elijah Craig 18 Year Old. Is it second? No, that honor goes to Eagle Rare 10 YO. On the other hand, I keep buying it, and that's the best testimony I can give it. To me there is no such thing as a "standard pour" as I don't think about price when I pour bourbon (with the exception of the Pappy Van Winkel 20, which is a rare treat). Maker's Mark stays in the rotation.

And yes, their marketing kicks serious butt. I have a stack of Maker's Mark christmas cards to send out. I get ambassador emails. Nobody else connects with the customer like Maker's does. I would love a premium bottling of Maker's, but if they took all the honey barrels and made a distillers reserve, I have to think the quality of the standard maker's would suffer. On the other hand, I would LOVE to buy a barrel proof Maker's!

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur
    What I used to react mostly to, when people here thrashed MM, was the complaints about its high price. This was not the case here in Sweden. Even with our draconian high taxes on hard liquor, I found MM to be reasonably priced. Just a tad more expensive than JB Black or EC 12.

This is, however, no longer the case. After being absent from Sweden for almost a year, MM returned the other month but it wasnīt until yesterday, when I ordered a bottle for this thread, that I realized that it had been the subject of a bizarre increase in price. I now had to pay the equivalent to $56 to get a bottle. This is only a dollar or so cheaper than Rare Breed and way more expensive than WT 101 8yo.

The case for the defence : most people seem to concentrate on the palate when assessing MM. In that particular aspect I agree that thereīs not much to write home about. Nice and smooth but hardly earth-shattering material.

What raises the end verdict for me, however, is the fantastic, tantalizing nose (give it the appropriate time to warm in the glass) and the long, complex finish. Whisky, is after all, a three part journey (four, if you count the colour, but I donīt care much for that, personally).
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Enthusiast
    MM cost £22 here - the same as EC 12yo, £3 more than WT 8yo, £3 more than BT - about the same as a 10yo bottle of single malt Scotch.

I go along with the nyeh it's alright, I'm glad it's around line of thinking. However it is below the others I've mentioned in this post by some margin IMO.

I'd also like to see an older barrel proof version and I'd be willing to pony up £45 or so for a bottle.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur
    I'll agree with most of you that I'll drink this if I want a Bourbon at a bar. I rarely ever drink this at home. However, it makes a VERY tasty Manhattan!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Novice
    I drink quite a bit of Makers Mark and always have two or three bottles of it in the house. What I enjoy about MM is the price; I noted that several other have it listed as "top shelf" or "premium" and I am wondering if that is marketing. At my local (warehouse) liquor store I can get MM at $19 for 750 ML and Jim Beam (white label) is $13. Percentage wise that is a big price difference but at $6 more I will grab the MM every time. I suppose if I drank a bottle a week it would add up to a little over $300 in a year.

The flavor of makers is sweeter and les astringent than the other ubiquitous bourbon in my house, Knob Creek. After KC the sweetness of Makers is a nice treat. I need some variety in my evening cocktail and right now (with the advice of cowdery) I am experimenting with the ryes and manhattans.

Find the Makers

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    - Mark Twain

Advanced Taster
    I seem to agree with the majority of folks - Maker's is a good standard to order at a bar that has a limited bourbon selection. Maker's does indeed have a superb marketing machine. Their distillery is gorgeous during Christmas - I have a picture of it as my wallpaper on my work PC!

As to taste, it is consistent, but doesn't match up to my benchmark (Pappy's 20-year). I'll never turn down a pour of Maker's, though!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Novice

I like MM

I am a bit of a newbie at bourbon, but so far MM is one of my favorites. It's certainly mellow compared with other stuff I've tried, like WT101 and Knob Creek.

As for pricing, here in VA it's comparable to WT 101, and certainly lower than Beam's small batch collection.

Basically, I think Makers Mark is a good introduction to bourbon for newbies such as myself--it really gives bourbon a good name and makes me want to try more, and that can't be a bad thing.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy's Friend
    I but doesn't match up to my benchmark (Pappy's 20-year).
    Tough standard!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasonsÖ that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster
    Yes, it is indeed a tough standard! It was my first bourbon, and I'm forever spoiled!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend