Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Makers was what got me started on Bourbon so it has a nice history with me. It is all I drank for the first 6 months or so until my bottles ran dry and that led me here.
    After finding SB.com I ventured off to a whole variety of Bourbons which I very much enjoyed. My memory of Makers was that it did not have as much flavor as some of my "new" favorites and I did not revisit it until the week prior to the Ambassador meeting.
    I worked it over pretty well for the week before the group meeting. I was pleasantly surprised, it had a nicer flavor than I was remembering, and at least for my tongue, a little more complexity than I recalled as well. I would not concider it a Premium Bourbon if we are talking price, here in WA it goes for $25.95, well below many other bottles.
    I find the nose fruity, maybe a hint of oak...the taste is sweet with a little tangy toffee flavor...the finish is mellow, maybe a little fleeting. A nice, soft relaxing drink that does not burn and is not too smooth as well.
    Todd

Guru
    MM may see themselves as that premium brand.

The bottom line for me and many others is that MM was our introduction to this world of bourbon passed "everyday" pours.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Remember our discussion about "smooth"? Well, MM's master distiller, Dave Pickerell, will tell you that what Maker's is all about is eliminating bitterness. Just like the beer commercial. No bitter bourbon. So that is where you get a claim that Maker's Mark is the "smoothest" bourbon.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    MM may see themselves as that premium brand
    I agree with that, and obviously in many cases their marketing works wonders. At the Ambassador meeting I attended, 2 of the guys were absolute Makers drinkers or nothing. One called it the "Gold Standard" of Bourbon. These were guys who could afford to drink anything they wanted, and often, but for them it was nothing but Makers.
    On another thread we discussed "brand loyalty" drinking vs. a wider variety. I am a variety kind of guy, it is fun for me to find new bottles and new flavors. If I was forced to pick one bottle as my favorite it would be the GT Stagg I have had. That being said I could not afford to drink it every night nor would I want to.
    In the group of people I know, Makers has done an excellent job of "positioning" themselves, and even people who don't drink Bourbon know about Makers, or I should say they know what Makers wants them to know, and that is pretty brilliant marketing.
    Last edited by T47; 10-04-2006 at 21:28.
    Todd

I am new to the world of bourbon and this is my first post to this lovely site. I have drank a fair share of jack and coke and beam and coke. Those were fair replacements for my usual rum and cokes back in my hard boozin party days, but not something i would take up regularly. I just polished off my first bottle of Makers Mark a few days ago and am working on Elijah Craig 12 and Wild Turkey 101. I have to say that I enjoy each quite a bit. Makers Mark really struck me as a pleasureable drink. I think it will eventually be my fallback bourbon, though I plan to continue to explore. I have a feeling it is the wheat that I prefer over the rye. What are some suggestions for other wheat recipe bourbons? I would like to try some everyday pours that fit in a limited budget, as well as some special occasion treats. For the time being, I think I am a Makers Mark man. That is not to say that my loyalty will last beyond some more experimentation.
    I look forward to learning from ya'll and expanding my horizons.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by mjomalle
    I have a feeling it is the wheat that I prefer over the rye. What are some suggestions for other wheat recipe bourbons?
    The Weller bourbons (12yo, Antique 107 proof, and Special Reserve) are quite good. Also, Old Fitzgerald (especially the bonded version). Van Winkle bourbons (Old Rip Van Winkle, or Pappy, or Lot B) are exceptional.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Thanks. I will start trying those out when the fiance permits. I am just getting her used to me having several open bottles at a time. I think I have a place in town that will carry at least most of those bottles.

Novice
    While I have been a bourbon drinker for over thirty years now, my first taste of MM was an very pleasant experience. It too was the start of my explorations of what else was out there. I also find myself leaning to the wheaters, but not always. My most common pour now is the VWFR 12yr old. I feel it has more body and a richness that regular MM is somewhat lacking. I am lucky enough to have picked up a bottle of MM gold 101 and black 95 proof in Japan a few years ago and think the higher proof does add some of the richness that is lacking in the 90 that we can get in the US. Too bad they won't sell those bottles in this country.

Paul

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Today I purchased a nice fresh bottle of Makers. This is something I haven't drank at home for quite a long time. I have had it from time to time when out at bars, but even then it is rare that it would be my choice. However, I found it to be fairly enjoyable. Not a overly complex whisky, but easily drinkable (though I think the pour lasted longer in my glass than many others I drink regularly). I'm thinking that maybe a fresh bottle is much better than the bottles I'm used to at bars, as the ones in bars get opened and then live for the life of the bottle with a pour spout in them, allowing the spirit to oxidize. This would change the flavor (apparently for the worse IMO) from what it was when bottled. Was it worth the money ($21+tax here) not really, as I know several bottlings I prefer for that price or less, but it wasn't nearly the exercise in self punishment that I had expected. I'd give it a 7 outta 10, but I have to take off for the price...so I say it's a 5.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru
    I'll have to go on record as saying "I like Maker's Mark". Not as much as back in the days of the Gold Capsule 101's, but well enough. I always keep a bottle on hand (but then I also keep a bottle of everything else that's made on hand). Whatever.....I like Makers Mark.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"