Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    mythrenegade puts it well - Makers isn't my favorite bourbon, but I keep buying it. It's my favorite pour when I'm in the mood for Makers Mark.

It's the Rolling Rock of bourbons - and I mean that as a complement.

Novice
    Makers's Mark was once my favorite bourbon. Ten ears ago this was a totally different whiskey. No bite, and not a hangover in a fifth. Then in 2001 this totally disapeared. I think that this is when the expansion took place. I visited the distillery in 1998, and again in 2001, no difference in the tour. but I did not see the expansion, but the smoothness was gone. I have not drank it since.

Guru
    Just in time for Straight Bourbon of the Month.
    Today I received official notification that my name is now on a barrel of Maker's Mark.
    Barrel #790348.

I realize this is a rare honor,...
    ...limited only to those who apply.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Damn. I wanted barrel #790348.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Damn. I wanted barrel #790348.
    That made me laugh out loud here at work, and I needed it today!

As for Maker's I had a single serving bottle the other night and find some definite similarities to SW, but it by no means in my opinion is anywhere near as good. I guess you could say I noticed the similarity in that they are both wheated bourbons, but the MM cannot compete on the levels of complexity that most SW bourbon shows...

SW = Stitzel Weller .... if you read enough posts on here you will find it, and then see it seemingly every where...
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 10-11-2006 at 00:17.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Taster
    Maker's Mark was my first bourbon, and currently is my favorite, although I have only tried a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    That made me laugh out loud here at work, and I needed it today!

As for Maker's I had a single serving bottle the other night and find some definite similarities to SW, but it by no means in my opinion is anywhere near as good. I guess you could say I noticed the similarity in that they are both wheated bourbons, but the MM cannot compete on the levels of complexity that most SW bourbon shows...
    What does "SW" stand for?

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by fog

What does "SW" stand for?
    stitzel-weller
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Connoisseur
    It seems like a lot of us have experience with Maker's Mark, it's a great go to in a bar, solid, dependable, consistent and always in stock. It's also a nice introduction to wheaters. I know for years it was my go to, out in a restaurant.
    Great choice this month.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    Great choice this month.
    wheaters go so well with apple cider!

Apprentice

First Post

Having been a member for just a short time now, but an avid bourbon drinker for a couple of years, I thought I'd finally take the opportunity to make my first post. It's certainly enjoyable just reading the comments in this forum - I can always learn something!

As for MM, like many others have said, I think it's a decent everyday bourbon that is marketed very well, is consistent, and can be found almost anywhere. If I'm in the "average" bar, I can usually find MM and maybe a couple of others, but not much else in the bourbon range. In that case, I'll usually order the Maker's, as it will definitely be prefered over JB white or something similar. I'm just not a big fan of the wheated bourbons, much prefer the spicier rye's. But they do make a nice Manhattan! Women seem to like MM more too, maybe because it is smoother (too smooth for me though).

Still, I'll always have a bottle of MM in my cabinet and am glad to offer it to guests, though rarely poor one for myself.