Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I really enjoy Maker's Mark -- right up until the point when it just stops. To me, MM has very little finish.
    As to price, Maker's moves in lockstep with Jack Daniel's, at least here in Middle Tennessee, because they want to be seen in the same 'premium' () niche. They're even placed side-by-side in many stores. In other words, it's twice as expensive as Evan Williams black-label, which is approximately the same age, if not a bit older.
    Combining both comments above = I don't buy Maker's Mark very darned often.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    MM is an OK bourbon.... not nearly as good as its marketing and (IMHO) not worth the premium price. I'd put it somewhere above average for "everyday" pours.

About the only time I drink it is when I'm in a bar and the only alternative choice is Beam White or some awful rail brand.

No bad by any means but there are so many others out there that are better values and worthy of ones attention.
    I agree with this analysis pretty much across the board. I would probably differ only in that I could add a few more to Beam and rail brands which I would avoid in favor of Maker's. At one time, I considered MM a premium pour......that is, until I tried a lot of others introduced to me here (THANX SB.COM!). Now, I hardly ever reach for it but it is definitely a cut above any Beam in my book!
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Virtuoso
    If it came down to Beam Black vs. MM, my choice would depend on whether I wanted a wheat-recipe vs. rye-recipe bourbon, or perhaps a coin toss would make the decision. Both of them are good, solid, dependable pours, in any case, and they're both widely available.

If offered one of either, I'd take both.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Twenty years ago I was given the advice, by someone who used to work at Stitzel-Weller, to drink Old Fitzgerald instead of Maker's Mark. "It's essentially the same thing," he said, "and a lot less expensive." That was, of course, when all Old Fitzgerald was still made at Stitzel-Weller, but it is no less true today.

That said, the real gripe we bourbon enthusiasts have with Maker's Mark is that they won't play our game. They won't give us extra age and higher proof and single barrel and all that jazz. Still, the Samuels family's gamble that bourbon could be repositioned as a high grade spirit paid off for them and for us, for they started the American whiskey renaissance that we enjoy today.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    It seems, like many who have sounded off before me, I started out on Maker's. Had I not liked it, my foray into Bourbonia would probably have stopped right there. But again, like many of us, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And, I continue to. I have been going to it regularly the last several nights and as always, it is easy drinking, consistent, and flavorful. A very solid upper level performer, with all the right things just where they're supposed to be, and in the right amounts. When I open the doors to the bunker to see what I am going to have on any particular night, I don't pick the Maker's many times. But I always give it a dutiful nod of respect, because it is what started it all for us who have the opportunity to enjoy the other great bourbons out there. Chuck has called the period we are now in " The Golden Age of Bourbon". I agree, and I think we can thank Maker's for it. Distilleries are finally able to profitably put out new products for our enjoyment. Just look at all of the new super premiums coming out over the last several years. The quality of their wares have never been better, and probably unsurpassed anywhere in the world. Bourbon is finally getting the respect and attention of liquor retailers, and the percentage of shelf space given to bourbon is growing. And, we have this wonderful site to discuss and carry-on about our favorite spirit. IMHO, all of this would not have happened without the one that kick-started the whole thing--Maker's Mark. Call it Luck, Quality, Kismet, Marketing, or anything else, but whatever contributed to the overwhelming success of this stellar brand, and what that succuss has meant to bourbon lovers, I'm glad it happened. And so, my bunker will ALWAYS have a bottle of Maker's Mark in it.

One last thing: Please, please, don't screw it up Jim Beam.

JOE

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Still, the Samuels family's gamble that bourbon could be repositioned as a high grade spirit paid off for them and for us, for they started the American whiskey renaissance that we enjoy today.
    Chuck,
    I think you stated it perfectly.
    Maker's Mark is what got me into the whole bourbon thing.
    And am glad that it did. But it has been a little over a year since I've had any.

Connoisseur
    I believe Maker's was the first Bourbon I ever drank straight as well. I found it from drinking it in a Manhattan. If it wasn't for Maker's it is safe to say I wouldn't be where I am today!!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Twenty years ago I was given the advice, by someone who used to work at Stitzel-Weller, to drink Old Fitzgerald instead of Maker's Mark. "It's essentially the same thing," he said, "and a lot less expensive." That was, of course, when all Old Fitzgerald was still made at Stitzel-Weller, but it is no less true today.

That said, the real gripe we bourbon enthusiasts have with Maker's Mark is that they won't play our game. They won't give us extra age and higher proof and single barrel and all that jazz. Still, the Samuels family's gamble that bourbon could be repositioned as a high grade spirit paid off for them and for us, for they started the American whiskey renaissance that we enjoy today.
    Chuck:
    As usual, very well said....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    Our game isn't enjoyed by many but dammit I'm having a great time with it!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru
    The only bottle of MM I ever bought is still unopened. Not I assure you because I feel it's not worthy of opening, but only because it never whispered my name in the darkness or realistically because I've had it in bars before and there is no mystery requiring solving. Someday it will be opened and when I do, I imagine myself saying "hello old friend, I see you haven't changed a bit" and then remembering why I hate going to high school class reunions and seeing that classmate that is still the same after all these years while I'm twice the man (closer to 2.5 times) I used to be...
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.