Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Let me state this direct...to the point...

I have no issue with Maker's Mark...

Things get side-tracked and misinterpreted. What we want to do is set the record straight (historically) to the best of our knowledge---and the right to verse our opinion.

I have no issue with folks who are loyal followers of Maker's Mark

They created a image, a excellent one at that ---->And yes, there is Maker's Mark in my bunker <-----but it's been the "hide your crossed fingers behind your back" kinda thing...

I made this post ... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=2623

That picture, the first distilling crew (now) hangs at the Maker's Mark Distillery (not there before this post)...and they even mention his name (Uncle Elmo's) stating he was the first Master Distiller

We (SB.com) recently toured Maker's Mark. Most Excellent Our tour guide was Dave Pickerel---Master Distiller for Maker's Right before we entered the distillery, he (Dave) mentions this picture and he told everyone there that Elmo Beam was the first Master Distiller I was so proud I could bust I looked him right in the eye and proclaimed "proudly" that Elmo was my great Uncle

We can go on and on with this...but it does not mean that Maker's Mark is bad...not at all. Does it mean that MM is "top shelf" "premium"? In my opinion...NO...It's good, but there are "other's" that smoke the doors off 'em

In Nelson County...Maker's Mark is close to "Heaven" in this neck of the woods A "almost" bow down will happen when Bill walks into a gathering in our county He's a "God" in their view... I had to add that tid-bit of info

No offense is meant by my opinion, none what-so-ever.

My posts in this long draw and still to come hot topic?...Trying to keep folks from changing history---or should I say "omitting" key factors in the lines of facts.

So far, I am very pleased with the "outcome"...

My Aunt Jo would have been proud Keeping a lifetime promise

Bettye Jo Boone
    7th Generation Jacob Beam
    G-granddaughter of Joseph L. Beam
    First Master Distiller, and one of the fist original incorproators of Heaven Hill
    Last edited by boone; 10-19-2006 at 11:49.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I like Bobby's term "red wall." I take it to mean people who have drunk the Kool Aid, bought into the Maker's hype hook, line and sinker, and who look down on anyone who is so unenlightened as to drink anything else.

As for the history, as I have said to Bill Samuel's face, he has told some whoppers over the years, but always in a spirit of fun; "tall tales," as it were. Then the MBA-types got in there, took his "tales" as gospel truth and started to sell them as such. He conceded the point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Bobby, how do you make some $$ when some Maker's is consumed, I don't follow that.

Gary

Administrator in exile
    Dale,

I enjoy Maker's Mark and I have been to many events and met many Maker's "fans", and you know as well as I do that there are just as many "wax collectors" attending as true bourbon afficionados. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people saying that Maker's is the only bourbon worth drinking. That's ridiculous and a sign of someone who hasn't tasted much else. There's nothing wrong with Maker's being someone's favorite, but anyone with any experience should be able to appreciate the other good bourbons out there.
    Last edited by jeff; 10-19-2006 at 12:44.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    It's good that MM is BOTM so the "attitude" of we enthusiasts about Maker's Mark can get a full airing.

A few people just don't like it. Most of us think it's a good bourbon, maybe even in the higher ranks. Most of us admire what the brand has accomplished and genuinely appreciate what it has done for the image of American whiskey and, by association, for the image of American whiskey enthusiasts.

Most of us even accept that puffery is part of marketing and that Maker's Mark is not the only producer guilty of it.

Yet where most of us won't go and where you will get a fight if you try to drag us there is, "Maker's Mark is the best whiskey ever made and you need never drink anything else."

For those of us who are married, one spouse is enough. For those of us who are not married, zero spouses is perfect. In neither case do we want to marry a whiskey. When it comes to whiskey, people here like to play the field. If you come in here married to one whiskey, you will be considered to be practicing a deviant lifestyle.
    As always, Chuck, well-balanced and well-said.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    Bobby, how do you make some $$ when some Maker's is consumed, I don't follow that.
    I own a small part of Fortune Brands. Maybe I should change my signature to Buy Jim Beam, Buy Maker's Mark!
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Oh okay I should have guessed that!

Gary

I enjoyed a few pours of Maker's Mark last night, and it never fails to disappoint me. Like many others on here, Maker's was the first "premium" bourbon I went to, and I always have one on hand. Going to Maker's made me want to experiment more and got me into bigger and better bourbons, but I would never turn my back on it. I just wish we had the 90 proof in Oz.

Bettye Jo - I always thoroughly enjoy reading your posts with information on your family history - I guess one could say "Bourbon is in your blood" - it's in my blood too but that's more of a consumption thing rather than heritage It's great to see you know only know so much about your family history, but you are so darn proud of it too!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

I had a ruminative glass tonight after work. It is not a worldbeater, but it is good whiskey. Most of the taste seems to come from the barrel.

The part I would change the most is the finish. Maybe the taste is calibrated to "show" to a certain extent in mixed drinks. If that is so the finish aspect would be moot.

But I think a premium whiskey should have a smooth, lingering finish and a residual sweetness; I did not find this in current MM.

Net net, a whiskey such as, say, Rittenhouse BIB is to me so much better at, what, 60% or so the price..?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-19-2006 at 18:17.