Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    The problem with written vs verbal communications is tonality. This seem nicer in the mind than the page. I appologie for excessive language and tone.

That being said, I still take issue with anyone who will degade or minimulize someones views regarding a preference for one taste over another. IMHO the quoted text was offensive to me, an avid MM drinker. I have a dozen or so other bourbons on the bar and will drink from them from time to time based on mood. But, for my tastes, MM is my everyday pour. You want to drink something with more "bite" for your daily delight, more power to you and enjoy. Just respect us that do drink MM and like it.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I can only agree, everyone's taste is personal and the whole point of this forum is to express our ideas about whiskey and its taste and what we like and don't. E.g., I know a number of people who can't stand rye whiskey and never will enjoy it. I do. My palate isn't better than anyone else's. There are many people (in fact most, who consume hard liquor) who don't like whiskey in any form, so it is all relative, too.

For this post no. 3000, I want to thank most sincerely Jim Butler for creating and hosting this forum. It has been a great pleasure to share ideas and information about bourbon whiskey and its many facets with such a fine group of people, many of whom have become friends.

Gary

Connoisseur
    Well, Dale, you could always join my against-the-grain crew.

I got my new bottle last week and, in certain aspects, it was even better than I remembered it from last time.

The nose as beautiful as ever. In fact, one of the best in Bourbondom. The biggest surprise, though, was the charming palate, which seems to have improved from yore. I was only let down by the finish, which I recall to be much longer in earlier bottlings.

I may have written this before but here goes : the biggest sin Makerīs Mark have commited, in my view, is to have gained omnipresence. As the old saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt and I think this applies pretty well to MM.

Of course, in Sweden, MM is mostly conspicious by its absence which, of course, turns the whole affair into a totally different perspective for me.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    But I think a premium whiskey should have a smooth, lingering finish and a residual sweetness; I did not find this in current MM.

Gary
    I couldn't agree more. For me, MM just dies on the finish.

That said, I owe Maker's for getting me interested in bourbon in the first place. And I do think it is a fine bourbon... I think it has an especially great nose to it. Offer me a drink of MM and I surely won't refuse.

-Brian

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Yet where most of us won't go and where you will get a fight if you try to drag us there is, "Maker's Mark is the best whiskey ever made and you need never drink anything else."
    I've never quite understood the "I drink this and only this" mentality. I tend to go with the NTSD (Never Twice Same Drink) approach.

As for MM itself, my take is that it's good, but there are better pours available for the same or less money. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to a newbie, though, and if you're a seasoned bourbon drinker, it's a solid choice that's available just about anywhere.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Briscott99
    For me, MM just dies on the finish.-Brian
    Try just a small sip and then enter 'smack mode'. You will find that itīs both spicy and minty.

I agree, though, that on the basis of my recently acquired bottle, the finish is shorter than of yesteryear. It used to be really long and complex, if lacking the hedonistic touches of, say, a WT finish.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Apprentice
    Let me be the first to ask: what's the new BOTM?

Thank goodness NOVEMBER IS HERE!!!!! Bring on a new, BOTM!

Don't get me wrong, Makers is nice and all I just can't see myself spending the money on a whole bottle.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Administrator in exile
    I'm feeling pressured...I don't like pressure...I'm likely to do something rash, like make it Ten High or Ancient Age 10 star just to make the pressure stop...

Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Beam white, maybe?

Gary