Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sharp

Novice

Buffalo Sharp

I'm curious to know if anyone has encountered this product. It is called Buffalo Sharp (straight Bourbon whiskey), and is bottled by or for the French company SLAUR. On the label it says "Imported from Kentucky". It comes in four and eight year old versions.

I'm just wondering what distillery could be hiding behind the label.

Connoisseur
    Heaven Hill does a lot of obscure bottlings, but then again Buffalo Trace.... I would be willing to bet either one of these. I am sure BettyJo can confirm wether or not this is HH.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    Heaven Hill does a lot of obscure bottlings, but then again Buffalo Trace.... I would be willing to bet either one of these. I am sure BettyJo can confirm wether or not this is HH.
    Nope, not us
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Guru
    I found one place that said it was distilled in Frankfort, KY, and shipped to France and bottled there.
    Frankfort only has Buffalo Trace,....correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur
    Yep. Buffalo Trace it is then. BTW, welcome to the forums Simplicio.

Novice
    Thanks for the replies. I have the eight year old and it's not bad; quite woody/resiny with some tobacco (I think), and a long bitter aftertaste. Not very sour, and somewhat heavy. Better than the last bourbon I had - JB Black. But then again, I've only begun drinking Bourbon recently!

Connoisseur
    Wow...what a description....good tasting notes. I'm thinking that might not be the bourbon for me however. Where are you at in China and what do you have available to you in the way of Bourbon?

My name is Mark by the way and welcome.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    I found one place that said it was distilled in Frankfort, KY, and shipped to France and bottled there.
    Frankfort only has Buffalo Trace,....correct?
    And Jim Beam...

Roger

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Rughi
    And Jim Beam...

Roger
    Jim Beam is in Clermont according to my Whiskey book by Michael Jackson. Am I missing something?

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    Jim Beam is in Clermont according to my Whiskey book by Michael Jackson. Am I missing something?
    When it suits them they label their products as "Frankfort*Clermont, Kentucky" (they use a dot between the cities). I think their two distilleries are more correctly stated as Clermont and Boston, but then I'm not a local and only have 2 or 3 Beam bottles since 1987 to check. Both of my Beam-era Grand-Dad bottles call out "Frankfort*Clermont" but the Knob Creek only lists Clermont.

I'm no expert on Beam, but they may have started printing Frankfort on some labels after the National Distillers sale, where they acquired at least three Frankfort area distilleries, Grand-Dad, Crow, and Taylor. I believe that none of these distill, only the Grand-Dad facility is active for bottling, and it appears that Beam may be slowly vacating the Crow rickhouses. Perhaps they only list Frankfort on labels of the brands that were _traditionally_ from Frankfort.

Roger

Ps I'm amazed at how little Beam product I have. Only 3 post-1987 bottles were easily found to check, when I could have easily pulled out 20 from HH, BT, ND, or even various incarnations of SW. I hadn't realized that about my stash...