Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Whiskey Family Tree

Is there a comprehensive list of American Whiskey distilleries, and all of the products/brands they produce? If so, would that be a complete list of quality American whiskies, or are there additional brands that are made from blending several straight whiskies purchased from different distilleries which are then sold as a unique brand? What I am looking for is essentially a Whiskey family tree.
    I would appreciate any info.

Guru
    You may find this link helpful, but I doubt that you'll have much luck indentifying the origin of bottlings that the purveyors would rather you not be able to identify.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    There are a lot of brand names and a lot of marketing companies, but there are only 11 active distilleries making American straight whiskey. Except for the odd barrel from a shuttered plant, all American whiskey comes from one of these facilities.

Jim Beam Clermont
    Jim Beam Boston
    Jack Daniel's
    George Dickel
    Maker's Mark
    Brown-Forman
    Woodford Reserve
    Buffalo Trace
    Four Roses
    Heaven Hill
    Wild Turkey

For the most part, although there are companies that buy and bottle bulk bourbon to sell under proprietary brand names, they aren't really doing any blending of whiskey from several sources to make something special.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    There are a lot of brand names and a lot of marketing companies, but there are only 11 active distilleries making American straight whiskey. Except for the odd barrel from a shuttered plant, all American whiskey comes from one of these facilities.

Jim Beam Clermont
    Jim Beam Boston
    Jack Daniel's
    George Dickel
    Maker's Mark
    Brown-Forman
    Woodford Reserve
    Buffalo Trace
    Four Roses
    Heaven Hill
    Wild Turkey

For the most part, although there are companies that buy and bottle bulk bourbon to sell under proprietary brand names, they aren't really doing any blending of whiskey from several sources to make something special.
    Anchor Distilling Co.

There are a few others that make scotch-style malts.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    Anchor Distilling Co.

There are a few others that make scotch-style malts.
    I think Chuck was excluding all that don't practice in the modern Kentucky-Pennsylvania-Tennessee styles or was using the term "American Straight Whiskey" very closely, because there are indeed several malt barley based micro-distillers.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Anchor is the largest and most widely distributed of the so-called micro-distilleries, very few of whom make anything that could be even loosely called whiskey and none of whom make a true American straight whiskey, plus all of them put together produce in a year about as much as Jim Beam makes every ten minutes. I hesitate to include Anchor because they operate on such a different scale and make such a different product, and the other American micro-distilleries are even less relevant. I also chose not to include A. Smith Bowman, which gets new make whiskey from its parent company, Buffalo Trace, gives it another distillation in a small pot still they have, then barrels and ages it in Virginia.
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-15-2006 at 15:09.