Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

a few questions from a new drinker

Hello, I turned 21 in September. I never drank much before then.

I do not like beer, wine, or most of the other things that I have tried. When I tried gin, I spit it out before swallowing.

I have been drinking a sip of Maker's Mark periodically for a while, and I have always liked it. So I decided to try some different boubons.

I then tried Jim-Beam white. I thought that it was ok when mixed with soft-drinks, but not that great plain. It tasted really bad when I tried it with ice.

I then had a sip of Early Times Kentucky Whisky (technically not a bourbon). I thought that it would be bad considering its price and packaging, but I liked it. It tasted similar to Maker's Mark: a sweet candy-like flavor.

After that, I read this forum, and then headed to wal-mart to buy some bourbon of my own. I got a bottle of Wild-Turkey 101, which I had read on here was fairly good. I do not like it at all. Taste wise, I find almost nothing in common with the other bourbons I have tried. All I taste is the woody flavors. I found that I like it even less mixed or diluted with water. I think that I might have dectected what I read here is called an oily sensansation. I am not sure if this is desirable, but I do not like it.

One question about the Wild Turkey. There are some suspended particles present which I notice when I pour it into a glass. Is this normall?

After reading some more, I decided that I might prefer wheated bourbons, so I headed to the liquor store. The only wheated bourbon they had other than Maker's Mark was W.L. Weller Special Reserve (seven years old), so I bought it. I tried it today. My initial impression was a somewhat spicy flavour dominated by alcohol burn with a slight sweetness, followed by the flavor which I am not sure what to call: when I had only tried Maker's Mark and Jim Beam white, it is the flavor which I thought was simply the primary flavor of bourbon (but that I can not detect in Wild Turkey 101, which I read on here is a typical bourbon). Anyway, I like this flavor, and I thought that the bourbon was acceptable. I then tried it diluted with water. When diluted, I do not notice the spicyness, the sweetness is more pronounced, and I notice a few other flavors (blueberry?). I prefer it diluted, as I do not care for the spicyness and I like the other flavors which I noticed only when diluted.

Maker's Mark is still my favorite. I like the candy-like flavor.

Anyway, can I conclude that I do not like bourbons with rye? Any recommendations for my next wheated bourbon (I will be heading to louisville this winter)? I noticed Buffallo Trace, Jim Beam Black, the high end Wild Turkeys, and Wilheam at the store. Do you think that I would like any of these?
    Last edited by fog; 10-09-2006 at 16:25.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    Anyway, can I conclude that I do not like bourbons with rye?
    I wouldn't think so, there are many more, something will turn up. Are the particles in the Wild Turkey black? If so that is a little barrel char. nothing to worry about.

Welcome here.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Connoisseur
    Hey welcome. Basil Hayden's is available all over the planet, it's a little over priced but it might be a good next step for you. It's also a very fun bourbon and very different. You also might want to consider a bottle of 1792 ridgemont reserve, not as pricey and a little lighter on flavor, but still pretty good (read the bottle of the month thread for this selection). As time goes on your taste buds will expand. But judging by what you've said, the Turkeys, Staggs, etc... are not a good place for you to start.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    P.S. Blanton's would be a good choice as well.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Virtuoso
    Elmer T. Lee would also be a good choice, if it's available in your area.

Based on all the bad press, I've completely avoided Beam White - but Beam Black is quite good, maybe a bit underrated. It doesn't have WT's wood - though I don't mind a bit of woodiness. Note, however, that it's a rye-recipe bourbon, not a wheater.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Enthusiast
    I used to think I didnt like Turkey because of the rye but I love straight rye. I think I have decided I dont like perfumey bourbon.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fog
    Anyway, can I conclude that I do not like bourbons with rye?
    Go with your current preferences but don't give up on rye bourbons forever. Most of us here have found that out tastes have evolved over time and that pours that initially seem unappealing can have an entirely different imprssion at another time and place. In other words, explore.

Another suggestion to try (if available in your area) is Berheim Wheat whiskey. No actually a bourbon but a very enjoyable (and different) taste.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster
    Old Charter 12 year old is a sweeter bourbon that's hard not to like. Buffalo Trace is also easy to drink...as is Eagle Rare SB. While these are not wheaters, they don't have a high rye content mashbill. If you can find it in your area, get some Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr...it's the best bourbon for the $$$ and is a wheater too.

Taster
    Thanks for the responses.

Enthusiast
    Unless I misread, the only ryed bourbons you've had are JB white and WT 101. If that's right, it's way too small a sample to draw that conclusion. There's a good deal of variability in bourbons, not really dependent on rye or wheat. I usually associate "spice" with a rye mashbill, but then again, you found it in the wheated Weller.

You've gotten some good suggestions about purs to try, and if the 50 ml "minis" are available in your area, they're a good way to get a wide sampling of bourbons. Just try a bunch of stuff.

Have fun.

Bob