Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Just a thought here, but if you're heading to Louisville this winter you may want to visit some of the more bourbon-centric bars there and try a "flight" (sampler) of bourbons. These will usually give you about half an ounce each of three bourbons. Pick one with a known "good" whiskey and then see what it is you like about it and see if those flavors are present in the others. Some places will even help you design a flight to try some things side by side.

One thing you might like to try are Canadian whiskies. While sharing many of the underlying flavors of bourbon, they tend to be a bit lighter and less spicy and usually a bit lower in alcohol (this will result in less burn). These could even be considered as a entry level American whiskey. In this vein you might like to give a shot to Cnandian Club Sherry Cask, Canadian Club 12yo or the ever popular Crown Royal. These may give you a good base to work off of while you grow accustomed to the more intense flavors of the higher strength/older bourbons. Canadians also tend to be extremely well balanced and drinkable. While some may consider that "uninteresting" I think it is a quite enjoyable experience, consider it like chillin' with some old Beach Boys as opposed to thrashing with Metallica.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    One thing you might like to try are Canadian whiskies. While sharing many of the underlying flavors of bourbon, they tend to be a bit lighter and less spicy and usually a bit lower in alcohol (this will result in less burn). These could even be considered as a entry level American whiskey. In this vein you might like to give a shot to Cnandian Club Sherry Cask, Canadian Club 12yo or the ever popular Crown Royal. These may give you a good base to work off of while you grow accustomed to the more intense flavors of the higher strength/older bourbons. Canadians also tend to be extremely well balanced and drinkable. While some may consider that "uninteresting" I think it is a quite enjoyable experience, consider it like chillin' with some old Beach Boys as opposed to thrashing with Metallica.
    May I also recomend Pendelton? I found it to be such an incredible intoxicating whiskey at the time that I insisted on drinking (with a little help from my friend) the entire bottle in about 36 hours. Needless to say I have not touched Canadian Whiskey since, but that is not to say I did not like it a great deal for a while. Along with all the things Timothy pointed out is also that it really has a sweet maple like flavor, and I think for beginning whiskey drinkers that really hits the spot.

... Take the Beach Boys, I'll rock out with Slipknot!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast
    I used to think I didnt like Turkey because of the rye but I love straight rye. I think I have decided I dont like perfumey bourbon.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by fog
    Hello, I turned 21 in September.
    Well, it's official. I am no longer the youngest person on here! (barely)

You have found a great group of folks here, kid

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    Well, it's official. I am no longer the youngest person on here! (barely)

Sigh... I guess Medicare must be right around the corner....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster
    I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace last night, and I am very pleased with it.

It smells perfect (WT smells astringent to me). I initially taste fruit and caramel followed by a pepper like spiciness. I found no other tastes at various levels of dilution. I never detected any bitterness.

I am enjoying the Weller more than I did at first. Now I notice a strong chocolate flavor which I love.

I have learned to enjoy WT with coke, but I still dont like it straight or with water.

Based on your comments, I would suggest you try Elmer T. Lee and Eagle Rare 10 year old. I think you will find both of those are not too expensive and have a lot to offer in the flavors you like. I would suggest you stay away from Blantons for now, it's expensive and I think it's probably spicier than you are looking for. Pappy Van Winkel is great, but it's $75 per bottle. The two I mentioned are available in CA for $17-$20 per bottle (about half what Blantons costs)...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Taster
    Yesterday I bought a bottle of Knob Creek.

I was suprised by how much it reminded me of WT101. The Knob Creek smells similar to WT101, but without the astringency I noticed in the WT101. The Knob Creek has the same woody taste as the WT101, but it is sweeter and more complex.

I did not notice any similarity to Jim Beam white, in which I noticed some unpleasant bitter flavors. I wonder if the bitter chemicals have been chemically altered by the additional aging, or if they are simply masked by the flavors released from the oak.

I prefer the tastes of BT, Weller, and MM, but Knob Creek is good enough that I enjoy drinking it straight.

I will probably buy a few more locally available whiskeys in the near future. Is Woodford Reserve worth trying? How about GentlemanJack?

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by fog
    I will probably buy a few more locally available whiskeys in the near future. Is Woodford Reserve worth trying? How about GentlemanJack?
    1. There should be a lot of locally avaible stuff seeing as you are Indiana.

2. EVERYTHING is worth trying in my opinion.

3. Anything "Jack" is not bourbon, but a Tennessee whiskey. I think that the plain 'ole JD black is decent, but overpriced. My opinion of JD goes down hill as the bottle price goes up. I much prefer Dickel as Tenn whiskey.

If you like the Knob Creek, why not branch out and try some other JB small batch stuff? I really like the Booker's myself.

Guru
    3. Anything "Jack" is not bourbon, but a Tennessee whiskey. I think that the plain 'ole JD black is decent, but overpriced. My opinion of JD goes down hill as the bottle price goes up. I much prefer Dickel as Tenn whiskey.
    I generally agree with the above with one exception. I've drunk one bottle of JD Single Barrel, and I've had it in bars and the Prescott Rodeo. IMO it's the only JD product that's worth drinking, much less buying.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,