Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Current bourbon

I'm having Henry McKenna Single Barrel, bbl#285, but because it's my last pour of the evening I don't have the wherewithall to properly describe it (although I did have the wherewithall to type the word wherewithall).

I'll just say that it is an unbelievably good bourbon. Who would have thought an Irishman could care so much about making good whiskey? ;^)

(I only dare a joke like that because I have some Irish ancestry in me)

Advanced Taster
    I'm having Black Maple Hill 14-year tonight. I just got my prize possessions and can't wait to try them this weekend - one bottle each of the BT experimentals! I'll share my reaction to them as soon as I open them.
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Apprentice
    Just got a shipment from Hi-Times two weeks ago with some Eagle Rare, Old Charter 8 year old, Weller SR, Weller Antique, and an Evan Williams SB.

I have been enjoying all of them with the exception of the Old Charter. For some reason it reminds me of Evan Williams Black.

The Weller SR is just one heck of a bang for the buck.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I have been enjoying all of them with the exception of the Old Charter. For some reason it reminds me of Evan Williams Black
    This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of. I am currently using a bottle as my cooking whiskey (it was on sale and the cheapest thing in the grocery) I did try it just because I had never had it. I found it to be a bit on the light side and very plain. For the price -1.75 in the mid teens- it may well be the best drink in its price range, but it's still in the very low end. This is a whiskey that needs some age and to not be watered down so much. The 12yo is much better, so is the 13yo, but the 12 yo is so much cheaper, it is definitely the sweet spot in the price/performance game.

And just to stay completely on topic, I'm gonna go pour a OC 13yo!
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    I just had a small taste of Rock Hill Farms from the only bottle I have ever owned. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not taste odd this time but rather quite good. Perhaps I shall investigate further this weekend.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now (Fall Edition 06)

Evan Williams Vintage 1995 and 1996 and some 1792. I can't wait for the Evan Williams Vintage 1997 to come out, I will for sure be sippin on some of that this fall as well.

Taster
    Wild Turkey 101 and Evan Williams SB 95. I just bought and tried EC 18 for the first time and will just have to see if I get used to it.

Guru
    GTS Fall '05, Makes me wonder why I waited so long to open this bottle.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru
    WT 101

Stopped by a local place tonight. Haven't beeen there in... I don't know... way too long.

Saw a jar on the bar. "Donations for Roger". What happened to Roger? Pancreatic cancer... spread to his lungs... only a few months left.

Suddenly every thing seems hollow. Empty. Roger is not really a friend --- more of an acquaintance. A bearded iron worker and guitar player with an amazingly rich baritone voice. The stereotypical "hail fellow / well met" Someone who shared a hello, a joke, a drink, a laugh, a faux serious / philosophical observation. A fellow traveler in life.

I stared into my glass as the silence in the bar seemed to wrap around all of us.

After an eternity (probably around the third pour), the door opens. In walks... Roger. At once both a shadow of his former self and yet bigger than life. Ravaged yet unbowed by the radiation and chemo. Greetings and (what otherwise would have been embarassed) hugs are shared by all. We all try to avoid the truth that hangs in the air (Roger much more successfully than the rest of us.)

A toast... I with my bourbon; others with a bottle of beer or whatever is at hand. Roger with a Pepsi... all that his stomach can handle right now.

"To tomorrow"

The silence returns... both comforting and awkward at the same time.

Later, as I leave, I stick a twenty into the jar on the bar. Life really sucks sometimes.

WT 101
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Hers' To Roger

..and to all others that life has dealt a tough hand.

Thanks for sharing that story.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.