Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Started off with a Handy...then Weller 12 (SW)...ended with OFBB 2006.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Virtuoso
    I emptied my Saz Jr. tonight.

Continuing on the empty bottle theme, I went with Scotch, and poured a double of Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #7 (59.9% ABV). Even after all the time that bottle sat nearly empty, it's still stunningly good. From what I can tell, oxidation either had no effect, or was beneficial with this whisky. To reverse the "bourbon to show up Scotch drinkers" thread, A'Bunadh would be a good Scotch for a bourbon drinker, especially one accustomed to the likes of Stagg, Larue, and OGD 114.

I'm wondering if high ABV tends to stave off oxidation - my Fall '05 Stagg also stood up very well to being nearly empty for a long period.

Soon I'll have enough empties that I can start opening up some new premium bottles. My recently-purchased VWFRR is a prime candidate for corkenpoppen...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Last night was a 06 Handy and an 05 WLW. Both went down well and sent me to bed early as designed!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso
    I went on an impromptu road trip today... and wound up in St. Louis. I took a walk over the Chain of Rocks Bridge (the old bridge that once carried Route 66 across the Mississippi River), and then decided to find a room for the night rather than go straight home. Needless to say, I decided to look for some bourbon to pour - and found WT Rare Breed (the WT-03RB version) for about $30 - less than what Binny's wants.

*snag*

Oh, my, this is a good pour!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    Needless to say, I decided to look for some bourbon to pour - and found WT Rare Breed (the WT-03RB version) for about $30 - less than what Binny's wants.
    The ONLY wtrb I have seen is the 03. Is the rest of the country short on this stuff?

Virtuoso
    I had some of the (IIRC) WT-01-99 version a while back - and that was a good pour, too...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up

As it was a little chilly, had a humdinger of a fire going in the outdoor fireplace last night. Ponied up close with 2 of the finest Manhattans I have ever made. Rittenhouse 100 Noilly 3:1, double digit shakes on the Angistura bitters, and 3 cherries with a little juice. Outstanding if I do say so myself. Weller 12 neat to polish off the evening.

JOE

Taster
    W.L. Weller, Jim Beam Black, Wild turkey Rare Breed, & Bufalo Trace.
    Santa Is going to bring me a Blantons and a Jeffersons Reserve if I can stay
    good.

J.W.

Guru

Vindication

Was out to dinner and lo and behold the host had a Woodford Four Grain that was given to him by his son-in-law. I managed to hide my trepadations as he admited that he was no bourbon expert. Took advantage of the taste that he provided neat.

When I told him what the bottle was costing he chuckled and offered the rest to me to take home and I declined. Besides being way over priced it had nothing very special. The nose went dead, the flavor very hard to discern and a poor finish.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast
    Very Rare Old HH BIB 10yo. Rescued from KY by a friend on a recent trip. A whiskey that reminds you why you have to take a car when you go to KY--just to stock up on this and VOB BIB. Very, very nice, and at this sitting it seems easier-drinking and as intricate as its McKenna SB cousin. Of course the price doesn't suck either.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC