Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    ...Woodford Four Grain...Besides being way over priced it had nothing very special. The nose went dead, the flavor very hard to discern and a poor finish.
    And that's a generous viewpoint! I coaxed Joel (TNsquire) into tasting it last night -- suffice it to say, I STILL haven't found anyone yet who likes it.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Right now....Corner Creek...not bad...

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    I've been drinking a lot of SW whiskey lately.....now I'm back to one of my favorites. SW bourbon distilled in March of '92......bottled as VWSR Lot B .......Van Blankle. What's not to like about it?

Randy

Advanced Taster
    Just finished my second neat dram of Bulleit...and wishing I would have read and learned from seasoned experts at SB.com, as they would have saved me from myself. But, alas, it may always be reserved for a mixer for non-so-great company and the inlaws.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Connoisseur
    speak for yourself...Bulleit is ok (in my book at least).

Not a top shelf. But I wouldn't kick it out of my bourbon cabinet. It's a fun bottle, a little bit of a rugged pour, but never the less, a distinct one. I believe I cold pick it out in a tasting (say maybe in September).
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    I don't like Bulleit. I have a bottle that I can't wait to finish. It's not the worst out there by any means, but for nearly $30, I know I'll never buy it again.

But tonight, finished off a bottle of Glenlivet 12 (don't get excited it had 1/2 oz. in when I started ) Then I had a very small taste of Talisker 12, delcious.

Also, with dinner I had a 2004 Caymus Cab, it was glorious!
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Enthusiast
    I seem to recall Bulleit being a lot cheaper than $30 in Montgomery County, MD than anywhere else (BTW, this month, MonCo has Rare Breed for $23.99). I like Bulleitt as an archetype (or mixer for serious cocktails--that extra rye edge really helps) more than an everyday dram.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Guru
    Today I opened my Very Old Barton BIB 6 y.o.
    I see why VOB is Kentucky's number one seller, good neat or on the rocks.

Connoisseur
    Just back from Morton's Steak House. Watched election returns while enjoying a WT Rare Breed and a Woodford Reserve along with a Punch cigar with a couple of friends. Had the mini cheeseburgers with purple onions--AWESOME. Also enjoyed the other scenery at the bar.

Connoisseur
    Van Winkle Lot B - Getting close to finishing the bottle. I'm going to have to join the support group soon!

A lot of people are still talking about Bulleit. I've said a lot of bad things about it this year, but I think a lot of my viewpoints are chalked up to it's high pricetag (at least in my area) it's nearly $30 and it's no where near a $30 whiskey IMO. But it's not as bad as I've claimed it over the months. If it were the price of Buf Trace ($16) It's possible I'd pick it up again, but not at the pricetag, especially since I prefer Buffalo Trace. It's not terrible, but IMO it's not good either. It could work as a mixer and I've been using it lately as a cooking whiskey where to it's credit it adds wonderful flavor to food.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.