Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: what is your cheap Speyside pick?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aberlour 10yo

14 34.15%
  • Glenlivit 12yo

11 26.83%
  • Glenfiddich 12yo Special Reserve

4 9.76%
  • Other (please specify...)

12 29.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    I know that Balvenie is available in Oz and that would be my pick, the 12 yo Balvenie DoubleWood. Unlike most here I'm a scotch drinker who dabbles in bourbon rather then the other way around.
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso
    My vote went with the Aberlour, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a Glenlivet. I'd put Gienfiddich in third place, though.

The only Glen Garioch I tried was lovely from the nose/palate standpoint, but it gave me a headache every time I drank it.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster
    well, thank you all for your input and suggestions. I've gotten my hands on a Glenlivet 12 and Tamdhu NAS. Both are quite similar in overall styles, but the Glenlivet 12 has a trifle more malt to it, and the Tamdhu has a bit more of a peaty vibe. both are very fresh, but the Tamdhu has a far shorter finish,which loses marks from me

next up is that Aberlour if i ever find one. The Balvenie looks the good from reviews and tasting notes, but is the price of Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10, Highland Park 12 and Bruichladdich 12 around here. and if i had $70AUS to spare, it'd be sunk into those babies...

PD

Novice

Re: A pick of 3 economical Speysides

Quote Originally Posted by pete_d View Post
    I need opinions.
    I'm looking at getting a whole bunch of Scotches that represent a particular region well, and i've pared it down to what's decently priced and available in Aus. These are:

Aberlour 10yo
    Glenlivit 12yo
    Glenfiddich 12yo

opinions are needed as to the most consistent and most representative of the archetypal Speyside Malt. I'm strictly limited to this price range, since i'm getting a bunch of other stuff on a shoestring uni student budget.

although any other opinions would be welcome...

PD
    Of the ones you mention here, my first pick would be Aberlour 10. this was just awarded a gold medal by drinks international in their spirits competition. a great whisky with more than a hint of sherry. matured on sherrycasks, finished on bourbon. Excellent!!
    But the others you mention here a good whiskies as well.
    If you come across a bottle of Strathisla 12 or Longmorn 15, do not pass them by!! Also very good Speysides.

Connoisseur

I have all three of the Speysides mentioned (Aberlour, Glenlivit, Glen Fiddich) Each is a good whisky at a good price. The Glen Moray and Glen Morangie are also very good for just a few dollars more in my area. Unfortunately, these whiskies don't get better reviews from people who enjoy a more flavorful or stronger palate from their whisky. If you see a Glen Livet French Oak Reserve in your price range, you'll get more flavor and the price may not be too much more than what you have already selected. All the choices aside, the objective should be to pour off a good dram, relax and contemplate good things.

Slainte!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pete_d View Post
    I need opinions.
    I'm looking at getting a whole bunch of Scotches that represent a particular region well, and i've pared it down to what's decently priced and available in Aus. These are:

Aberlour 10yo
    Glenlivit 12yo
    Glenfiddich 12yo

opinions are needed as to the most consistent and most representative of the archetypal Speyside Malt. I'm strictly limited to this price range, since i'm getting a bunch of other stuff on a shoestring uni student budget.

although any other opinions would be welcome...

PD
    I would replace Glenlivet with Balvenie 10-year. It's a little less expensive, and the Glenlivet is almost NEVER on sale, unlike Glenfiddich, which has been discounted every now and then.

The Balvenie is a lot like the Aberlour, with a hearty, malty body and a light-to-moderate peated-ness.

Both the Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12-years, on the other hand, feel a little "flimsy" in comparison.

Disciple

I have some scotch from each region of Scotland, although my favorites are from the same region and include Edradour, Deanston, Glengoyne, Aberfeldy, Inchmurrin, Dalwhinnie etc. Which ever brand you choose, don't hesitate too long as the prices are going up rapidly. Ardbeg 10 was selling for 38.80 in Ohio during the holidays and went up to 50.00+ on March 1st. A Speysider that has never disappointed me is Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    A Speysider that has never disappointed me is Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve!

Thomas
    Now THAT is a good Glenfiddich! Nice, light sherry note to it.

I haven't yet tried the Ancient Reserve (18-year) yet, though.

BTW, for those unfamiliar with Sherry, a Solera is a large wooden vat used to "marry" the sherry together before bottling.

You can find an explanation of the process HERE!

Enthusiast

The cheapest one i bought was a Drumguish from the Speyside distillery nice to drink but nothing fancy.Eric.

Taster

...other - more to the "Highland" style, though

Glen Garioch 15
    Glenfarclas 12