Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Wild Turkey Rare Breed/Woodford Reserve

While in the liquor store today I noticed a bottle of WTRB, the older batch W-T-01-99, mixed in with the newer batch WT-03RB. What do you think? Is it worth picking up the older batch (I already have a bottle of WT-03RB)? Just wondering if there are major differeneces or if folks percieve one batch to be significantly better than the other.

And Woodford Reserve... I'm not a huge Woodford fan, but I have seen in two seperate liquor stores a couple Lincoln Henderson bottles (batches 196 and 182 respectively)... does it seem worth it to pick up these older batches?

Thanks!

Enthusiast
    If it is not junk, and it is something I have not tried before, I buy it. What is the worst that can happen? You're out $20-40 bucks and you have a bottle that you can pawn off on guests who don't know better.

Advanced Taster
    I"m with RedVette on this one!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedVette
    If it is not junk, and it is something I have not tried before, I buy it. What is the worst that can happen? You're out $20-40 bucks and you have a bottle that you can pawn off on guests who don't know better.

I have been known to buy junk if its older and I have not tried it. There is some decent whiskey in some of those old bottles with bottom shelf labels.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Briscott99
    Just wondering if there are major differeneces or if folks percieve one batch to be significantly better than the other.

And Woodford Reserve... I'm not a huge Woodford fan, but I have seen in two seperate liquor stores a couple Lincoln Henderson bottles (batches 196 and 182 respectively)... does it seem worth it to pick up these older batches?

WTRB Question: There is No big difference...

Woodford Reserve Question: If you're not a fan.....I'd leave it on the shelf. Buy what you intend to drink or else you'll have your money tied up with a bunker full of stuff you don't want to drink!

Dawn

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Briscott99
    While in the liquor store today I noticed a bottle of WTRB, the older batch W-T-01-99, mixed in with the newer batch WT-03RB. What do you think?
    I had a bottle of W-T-01-99 open for years that I could just never get into; there was nothing _wrong_ with it, but I just didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure any of my tasting buddies agree with my negative opinion of W-T-01-99, though.

The WT-03RB, however, is one of the best currently released bourbons, IMHO.

Roger

Disciple
    The 99 is excelent.

03 is even better.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!