Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to buy?

What to buy?

I am no stranger to bourbon, enjoy it in many ways. PVW, Woodford, Jefferson are some of my favorites.

But last week, here in NY, my local store had a bevy of new bourbon's, many offshoots from standard brands, some I've never heard of before.

So, the question here is, if you could recommend some of the new single barrels that are out there, what would your pick that is smooth, round, flavorful, but not too sharp or overwelming? Something that can be enjoyed neat or with a bit of water.

Big question, I know, but maybe it will help me narrow the field.

Thanks,

Tony
    Longtrain

Connoisseur
    Hey Tony welcome,

Single barrels are becoming more and more common, which is a pretty cool thing. Stores are buying their own barrels and having it bottled. If you can find one of these, it would be a good place to start and unique to a certain extent. You asked a very good question that is asked by most people when they start out here. Read as many threads as you can, especially about tastings.

I'm gonna have to laugh because I'm thinking that 6 months down the road we are going to see this pile of "What should I buy next/What should I start with/What is this bottle worth?" posts. Which would make it very handy for anybody to find that's asking those questions all sitting there in the NEW-TO section.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Hey, Tony.

We probably can give you better, more specific information if you identify for us some of the new arrivals.

Connoisseur
    Welcome to SB, Tony

What are your options?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Longtrain
    7what would your pick that is smooth, round, flavorful, but not too sharp or overwelming? Something that can be enjoyed neat or with a bit of water.
    Hi Tony,

Welcome.

That sounds like Elmer T Lee to me. Good price point for a Single Barrel, too.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    Hi Tony,

Welcome.

That sounds like Elmer T Lee to me. Good price point for a Single Barrel, too.

Ed
    I'll second that one....excellent choice in my opinion. Another one in the $20-30 range is Eagle Rare 10yo SB. Raising the dollar amount a bit higher, my advice would be Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Blanton's.....like ETL, another offering from Buffalo Trace.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

All:

I'll be stopping by today and get a list of what's on the shelf...

Ok, made a stop, any of these worthy? (Bought a bottle of Elmer T. Lee)

Bakers
    Basil Hayden
    Bookers
    Jack Daniels Single Barrel
    Russel's Reserve
    Wild Turkey Rare Bred
    Elijah Craig 12 YO

They also had PVW 20 YO, $75. Blanton's, Woodford and Jefferson ,which I have had. I enjoy the PWV 15 YO with water, any of these in that class or better???

Thanks for helping and the guidance.

Tony
    Last edited by Longtrain; 10-21-2006 at 16:28.

Taster
    I met Elmer T. Lee a few months ago at a Buffalo Trace tasting. We sampled BT, Eagle Rare 17 YO, Pappy 20 YO, Weller 12 YO, Elmer T Lee Single Barrel and a few others. Mr. Lee is a lively old man. I think he said he was 86 YO. He said he still tastes for BT and picks the barrels for his own single barrel bottlings. His said his wife has as good of a nose for bourbon as him if not better. His next favorite in line was Eagle Rare 17 YO. So if you pick up one of those or just about anything from BT it is hard to go wrong. Good luck and cheers!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain

Guru

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrain
    All:

I'll be stopping by today and get a list of what's on the shelf...

Ok, made a stop, any of these worthy? (Bought a bottle of Elmer T. Lee)

Bakers
    Basil Hayden
    Bookers
    Jack Daniels Single Barrel
    Russel's Reserve
    Wild Turkey Rare Bred
    Elijah Craig 12 YO
    Of those, I personally would most like the Booker's, Rare Breed, and Elijah Craig 12-yr. The Russell's Reserve is probably a good bet, too.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy
    ...He said he still tastes for BT and picks the barrels for his own single barrel bottlings...
    Elmer selects the barrels for OUR single-barrel bottlings, too!

awaiting the start.jpg Elmer pours.jpg ETL and me.jpg Koji and Cliff nose and nip.jpg

...He(e) said his wife has as good of a nose for bourbon as him if not better...
    Sadly, Mrs. Lee passed away in April. Elmer told me last month they'd been married 56 years, and he was quite lonesome without her.
    Tim