Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Pikesville Straight Rye

OK, here's some more info from a former employee ( also a relative of the owner of Standard ). Majestic was not related to Standard, no common ownership connection. All rye whiskey made by Majestic was barrelled and warehoused at Majestic's site. Only the Bottled-In-Bond was bottled there. All barrels for non-BIB (most of the whiskey) were shipped to the Standard's Lombard St facility in Baltimore for bottling . Standard had a 5-story building complete with a bottling line.

For a short period before the sale to Heaven Hill, Standard contracted with Michters for a supply of rye whiskey. We can assume HH continued using Michters and maybe other PA ryes until their own in-house rye became of age.
    Dave G.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks for that, Dave, most interesting.

Gary

Connoisseur

Another bit of trivia: I was speaking with Colby at LeNell's and he said most of the high-end bars in Manhattan are now using Rittenhouse Rye BIB as their well whiskey.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility that people just know their history, but it almost seems like some kind of genetic memory, that people in New York know they always liked straight rye, even though it hasn't been popular there for 40 years or so.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility that people just know their history, but it almost seems like some kind of genetic memory, that people in New York know they always liked straight rye, even though it hasn't been popular there for 40 years or so.
    I would say that it's more likely that people in New York are more aware of what has become trendy, and the restaurants being aware of this and making sure they are "trendy" in that regard. Not that that is a bad thing...if a large percentage of bars in NY are carrying rye as their well, then production increases, awareness increases, availability increases. Win Win situation for everyone (well except whoever was the well before...but that might have been HH, too, so no biggie)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It can't be a coincidence that the place where rye was most popular before is the place where it has become popular again.

I have a vague and unprovable opinion that more emphatic tastes are preferred near the ocean. I believe that the (bluntly) maritime odors encourage strong flavors and tastes as contrast and concealment.

I think as well, to some degree, industrial pollution tends to favor extreme (strength) tastes and flavors in a particular city or region.

I think in areas where you've got the wood pulp and turpentine smells (areas of georgia) you'ld have HECK selling any gin, they'd be comparitively flavorless in that ambiance.. that is btw where i discovered SLOE gin..

I just notice that rye and seaports, overproof rum and pirates, monongahela and riverboats, the islay scotches..

it do seem that high intensity liquors are most appreciated and most prevalent near water of some sort.. and i can't help but think ambient stink is part of the reason why..

Interesting theory. German pils beers from the far north bear out what you say, Jever is the classic type, very well-hopped and firm, whereas the "interior" beers of Bavaria are more malty and soft.

In England, Adnams bitter on the southeast coast is quite bitter and has been said to have a "seaweed" taste: beers in central England tend perhaps to be sweeter and softer again (Holts and Hyde in Manchester being an exception, but I am thinking e.g., of the great beers of the centre and west of Yorkshire, or London beers, or the Scotch ales).

In northern Holland near the water, very flavorful, sharp, herbal genevers are traditional.

This could be true as a general rule although there will always be exceptions.

Gary

Just continuing to think on this, Beck's is a Bremen or Hamburg beer (made near the North Sea I know) but is notably mild and round. However Beck's is I think an early example of a beer made with an eye to the international market.

Anchor Steam beer and its derivatives on the west coast was famously flavorful especially in the pre-microbrewery era (which it helped inspire), so more proof of the theory.

Yet in L.A., beers such as Acme ruled, blandish and mild. Yet I am not sure I would style L.A., then or now, a coastal city...

The Milwaukee and other interior U.S. beers would have followed Bavarian lines until blandified to appeal to a mass market.

New England as you say had rum, as do the Canadian Maritimes, and a rum (ot least today) of no great distinction, but as you say too in the old days the taste must have been weaned on strong earthy overproofs.

Here's more proof of the theory: pastis and its variants are legion all around the Mediteranian rim. That drink has a strong smack of anise, ouzo on the Greek Islands is an example.

Strong dill and caraway liquors ruled and still do in Scandinavia with its endless rocky coasts.

Strong Baltic stouts appealed along the Baltic sea and inland to a point, yes.

I think you have something there.

Gary