Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smoking

Connoisseur

Pipe Smoking

In the next day or so, I'll be off the tobacco shop to get started with pipe smoking. I can't think of anything better on a fall evening than kicking back with a great bourbon, pipe and a book.

Anyone have any suggestions or things I should discuss with the tobaccoist? I have no experience whatsoever with pipes, but I'm looking forward to learning.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    I've smoked a pipe for a few years now. If I was you I would start on a $20 pipe to see if you like it. In a month or two if you are still into it go for a $50 one. Don't smoke too fast or you'll get tounge bite! It's almost unavoidable at first so don't be discouraged. I've been at it for a couple of years and I still learn something everytime I have one!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    Okay I went out and got some stuff. The cheapest pipe they had was like $37 dollars, So I got it and some tobacco and a tool, etc. And last night I sat outside on a cold fall night with my pipe, a copy of Richard Russo's Empire Falls and a pour of Pappy Van Winkle 15, it was wonderful.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Seems like you got it all figured out already. I like the pipe for Winter time because I do not smoke cigars inside the house. The pipe usually gets the nod then.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I've gotten a Boswell and a Bjarne pipe and several tobaccos. I'm really enjoying it and I find the pairing with bourbon to be far superior than cigars.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    What tobaccos/whiskies have you tried? I'd like to see how they do.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I'm no expert by any means so please take my elementary recommendations with a grain of salt.
    Rattray Marlin Flake - a great very traditional Virginia tobacco that goes very well with pretty much any bourbon. In my experience boubon with a little more age holds up better to smokes of any kind.
    I've paired up Dunhill Nightcap - a very smoky intense blend goes exceedingly well with Islay Scotch.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I already have the Nightcap and agree it goes well with Islay. Rattray Marlin Flake goes highly recommended so I might have to try it. I do have Old Gowrie which is also by Rattray and supposed to be very similar. That, for some reason, goes great with a cup of coffee.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    I already have the Nightcap and agree it goes well with Islay. Rattray Marlin Flake goes highly recommended so I might have to try it. I do have Old Gowrie which is also by Rattray and supposed to be very similar. That, for some reason, goes great with a cup of coffee.
    I'll have to try that out.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Re: Pipe Smoking

If you have a boswell pipe already, go all the way and contact JM himself at his Chambersburg tobacco shop (or more likely, Mrs. Boswell). He hand blends his own pipe tobacco and I'm sure they would be more than happy to discuss a blend that would go well with your drink. You will not find nicer people.