Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you like with your bourbon?

I've predominatly been a cigar smoker, that and working in a package store got me into bourbon. A nice bourbon can really enhance a nice cigar and vice-versa. I have found that matching up the bourbon with the cigar can be pretty vital. Meaning that when you match up the flavors of the cigar with the flavor of the bourbon it can turn out fantastic, ie spicy smokes with spicy bourbon, mild with mild and so on. Do any of you guys have a favorite matche you can recomend?

Advanced Taster

Re: What do you like with your bourbon?

I generally do not drink alcohol when smoking a cigar. I usually prefer a good cup of coffee. However, I did have Weller Antique 107 with a JR Ultimate petit corona last weekend...Not bad. A107 would have overwhelmed any mild cigar.

Novice

I've found a new favorite in Arturo Fuente's 8-5-8, but have yet to pair it with a nice pour.

Most of my cigar choices have been maduros, which I have paired with a light scotch, like a Glenlivet 12 (or my Archive 21) or Glendronach 15 (very sherried.)

Once the weather cools down in Florida, I'll be on my back porch trying some bourbon/cigar combos. Until then, I look forward to any suggestions posted here.

I think for me the Thomas B Handy rye watered down to ~ 105/110 proof is the best "bourbon" pour for me with a "special" cigar. I had this rye with a Cuban Hoyo Epicure #2 aged 8/9 years (last one in the box) & an aged JR Ultimate President (another last in the box) & both were great combos. I then tried an inexpensive, but good, Dominican & it also went well with the rye, although the cigar was somewhat mild for the rye. FYI - I didn't smoke all 3 cigars with the rye at one sitting .
    I usually prefer Lagavulin single malt with a "special" cigar, but the Handy is just as good to my taste, different but just as enjoyable.
    I'll usually drink Four Roses with any good mild/medium or medium bodied cigar, usually a "good fit" in my experience.

Disciple

I have found that the big trick with cigar whiskey pairings is to make sure that the bourbon doesnt overpower the cigar. These days I have been pairing La Flor Dominicana Chiselitos with Rare Breed Turkey to great effect.

TomC

Advanced Taster

I have not been able to find a good bourbon/cigar pairing. Most of the cigars I have tried have gone very well with coffee. I will be monitoring this thread in hopes that it will set me up for the upcoming back porch cigar smoking season.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Connoisseur

I've had mixed results overall. I haven't had any bad combinations, although I find rye mashbills seem to pair better on average.

One bourbon I have had especially good luck with is Wathen's SB, in particular with several different cubans I've tried (Partagas, R&J, Cohiba).

Just to show every rule has an exception, my favorite combination by far was BTAC's WLW '06 and Gurkha Royal Salute. It was utterly amazing.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

More bourbon.....

and a bowl of Yenice Agonya
    Joel

Novice

I recently went down to my local cigar bar and had a 1964 Padron Exclusivo with a PVW20. Quite expensive. I smoke a lot at home (when the weather fairs well in the East) and the latest smoke I had was an Olivia V Double Robusto with WR. I enjoyed both experiences immensely.

Taster

Rarely smoke anymore. But a few weeks ago tried a Bucannero Salsa with GTS 07. The combo was very intense and enjoyable. Will have to keep this in mind next time Iam able to light one up.

Mike