Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smoking

Guru

Re: Pipe Smoking

I'm hanging on to them just in case I contract a terminal, non-smoking-related disease -- in which case I'll give smoking another try.

I know; that's pretty pathetic. However, I'm too decrepit and too poor to have a mistress, and I've already owned a motorcycle. I can't think of any other way to give death the finger.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

Yeah, I'd probably hold on to the pipes, too.

As for giving death the fniger, I've already planned my course of action should I make it to 80: start pouring Stagg, Booker's, WTRB, and Talisker all day long, always with a Romeo y Julieta Anniversario Churchill or my pipe, and always followed by a slab of chocolate cake. Should make short work of my remaining months (or weeks).

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Yeah, I'd probably hold on to the pipes, too.

As for giving death the fniger, I've already planned my course of action should I make it to 80: start pouring Stagg, Booker's, WTRB, and Talisker all day long, always with a Romeo y Julieta Anniversario Churchill or my pipe, and always followed by a slab of chocolate cake. Should make short work of my remaining months (or weeks).
    At least you would go with a big grin.
    Bob O.

Advanced Taster

Wow,

I went through this line of reasoning with my girlfriend very recently. She wanted to know when I was going to get rid of the coolerdor full of cigars and the box full of pipes that are currently clogging up our reading room, since I haven't smoked in years. I told her "sure, I don't smoke now, but I'm seasoning those cigars for the future -- when I'm old and ready to take up the habit again they'll taste fantastic." She wasn't amused, particularly in light of the fact that my bourbon collection is starting to encroach on other areas of our living space, and in all fairness, she's got a point. I'll probably get rid of the pipes, at least. Do people buy used pipes in this day and age? I have a couple of Dunhills that deserve to be used instead of sitting idle in their boxes.

Connoisseur

1. Yes, people by used 'estate' pipes.
    2. I'm sure some of your bourbon drinking friends could put a nice Dunhill to good use!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

If you decide to sell your pipes, I hope you are able to do so without feeling like you've been shafted.

Back in the early 1970's I bought a flamboyantly styled Nording, about 80% straight grain and with the natural surface of the burl across the top, reasonable perpendicular to the centerline of the bowl. It was a beautiful pipe, but it was too heavy for me to hold in my teeth alone for more than a few seconds. It had cost $35 in 1969 dollars (almost $200 in today's inflated greenbacks). I took it to the store where I bought it (and most of my other tobacco supplies, as well), and the owner offered me $10 for it. I thought he was joking -- or at least doing some hard-ball negotiating. I never got him to budge. To my shame, I took the $10. I'll never forget how quickly he whisked the pipe off the counter, the instant I agreed.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Ok,

The link you guys suggested (pipesandcigars.com) has a lot of stuff, and it's overwhelming. Forgive the newbie questions, but I'm clueless here.

I am planning to order the "three pipes for $45" because I have two other friends that I smoke with and one of them asked me to land him a pipe. It seems to be a good price, and since i have no idea what's good and what's not, a closeout pipe should be fine.

Based on what I've read here, I should probably avoid aromatics, and look for virginia tobacco correct?

But then what? Do I need to buy pipe cleaners? What is a tamper? It seems like there is a collection of tools that are a mystery to me. I take a cigar, cut the end off and smoke it. What do I need to purchase to have a good first experience smoking a pipe?

Thanks for the help...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur

Do not avoid anything, if you like a nice room note a good Aromatic will be fine. It is true that the more complex smokes are usually non-aromatic but do not avoid them if that is what you are looking for.

1/2 of pipe smoking is not offending others in the immediate vicinity. If a nice note makes your significant other more tolerable of the pipe then it could work to your advantage.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

Yes, you need pipecleaners. You also need a multipurpose pipe tool. It should include both a tamper and a long, pointy thing for loosening the tobacco (sometimes even while you are still smoking it).

Someone who smokes a lot also needs a tool for carefully shaping and eventually removing some of the cake inside the bowl. Someone who smokes only four times a year (did you say that?) may never need such a tool.

An inexhaustible supply of flame is essential. I used matches by the pound. A butane lighter, carefully adjusted and handled, is probably a better idea.

Everyone tries aromatics sooner or later. I promise not to say I told you so. Heck, you may even like them as a change of pace. However, they present difficulties that make them most unsuitable for the smoker most likely to try them -- the novice.

Adjusting for inflation from my day until now, I suspect the quality of a $15 pipe will be wanting. Back in the 1980's I expected to pay at least $20 for a quality pipe. I'd guess $50 today.

You want a pipe with close grain, no hidden pits or fissures and good alignment of the bore with the bottom of the bowl. Describing one is far easier than identifying one.

Good luck and please keep us informed. I love smoking vicariously.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dave,

What is a cork knocker?

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com