Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smoking

Connoisseur

Re: Pipe Smoking

I believe a cork knocker is a cork that you stick to an ashtray to tap the pipe against to loosen up tobacco.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

Correct! For example, see here.

Among experienced pipe smokers they are also known as "stem breakers".

They are often included on ash trays designed for pipe smoking.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Well, I took the plunge. I ordered a bunch of stuff from pipesandcigars.com. I got three pipes because I roast coffee with two other guys and that's when we typically smoke (which also increases the frequency of when I smoke from about 4 times a year to about twice a month), so I got a pipe for each of us. Here's what I got:

---
    Pipe Closeout Special (Bent)

These 3 packs will consist of discretionary hand picked closeouts we have received. They will come in assorted shapes and finishes. Picture may not represent actual pipes in pack.

PLUS FREE POUCH OF TOBACCO WITH ORDER!!
    ---

This was $45.99 and ostensibly is a $75 value...

Then I got a few things that Dave suggested:

Dill's Premium Pipe Cleaners (32 cleaners)

Pipe Tool - 3 in 1 Czech Tool (3 pack)

Then I got two bulk tobaccos and one sampler pack:

Eric's Bulk - Old Lodge (4 ounces)

A blend of the finest grade Latakia's combined with Stoved Virginias, and a hint of Balkan. This is a heavy blend perfect for cool nights with a shifter of fine Port.

McClelland Calypso Black (4 ounces)

A mysteriously provocative tobacco having a distinctive character with a universally appealing aroma both in the pouch and in the room. Soft, sweet, refined black cavendish.

Tin Sampler - Aromatic "Paper and Metal"

Individually these tins and pouches would sell for three times as much in a tobacco store. But due to an overstock you are the real winner. All of these tobaccos are imported from Europe and are made with the finest quality tobacco. This package is sure to bring a huge smile to any pipe smokers face! What a price! 6 items in all including Thomas Radford Sundays Fantasy 50g tin, Exclusiv Sherry & Cherry 50g tin, Brookfield Aromatic Pouch 50g, Golden Blends Mild Chocolate Pouch 50g, Exclusiv Wild Mango Pouch 50g

So, once it all arrives I'll begin to try these things. Thanks for all of your help! I'll keep you posted as to what I like and what I don't.

I have no idea what I ordered. I picked them based on the descriptions and what I imagined my tastes would be. I ordered the aromatic sampler to try as well.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Guru

Joel,

I envy you the adventure you are about to undertake.

From the description I gather that the Old Lodge may be a tasty blend. However, including it in your starter assortment may be a bit like using OGD 114 to introduce bourbon to a teetotler.

May you always enjoy your vices in moderation.

BTW, has anyone advised you regarding the break-in process?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Everything I know about pipe smoking I learned from this thread. So, not only has no one advised me, I have no idea what you are talking about :-)

The stuff is due to arrive Wednesday. All advice is appreciated. What should I start with, what is the break in process, etc.

Joel

Guru

Joel,

There's a traditional way to break in a pipe; the tradition is at least partly grounded in experience.

First gently remove the stem. Twist in one direction while gently pulling. If there's a metal gadget sticking out of the stem, remove it. Clean the inside of the bowl to remove any dirt, sawdust, stray finish material, etc. Start with a damp washcloth that you don't mind throwing away. (Some smokers swear that rubbing the inside of the bowl with your favorite liquor both cleans and adds flavor. I can't swear to that.)

Use a dampened pipe cleaner to remove debris from the inside of the stem and the shank of the pipe. Bend the cleaner double to clean the mating surface of the shank. Clean the stem in hot water and dishwashing detergent; you don't know where it's been. Rinse well, and dry thoroughly. Reinsert the stem in the shank.

The first time you smoke the pipe, fill the bowl 1/3 full at the most. Do your best to turn it all into ash before you give up and dig out the leftover tobacco. (There will always be some.) Try to avoid scorching the inside of the bowl with your match or lighter. The goal is to coat the inside of the bowl with residue from the burning tobbaco, not to char the wood itself. Some charring of the wood will occur naturally from the heat of the burning tobacco; just don't try to hurry the process along with a flame.

After you remove the unbrunt tobacco residue run a pipecleaner through the stem, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Repeat with fresh cleaners untill one comes out clean. Bend a pipe cleaner double and gently brush the inside of the bowl to remove loose ash.

Allow the pipe to dry at least a day before smoking it again.

After every dozen smokes or so, after the pipe is completely cold, remove the stem and clean inside the shank with a doubled pipe cleaner. Unless the stem is fitted perfectly, there will be a small gap where debris can collect.

After repeated smoking, when the inside of the bowl is almost completely covered with tobacco residue, start filling the bowl a little higher each time you smoke it.

Common pitfalls include allowing residual liquid to evaporate in the stem (leaving behind unpleasant flavors), allowing liquid to be aborbed into the shank and bowl (ditto), filling the bowl too full too soon -- resulting in uneven conditioning (aka, "caking") of the bowl, and failing to allow complete drying -- resulting in a soggy cake that is more likely to fall apart prematurely.

The most common pitfall is to puff too hard and too often, causing the pipe to overheat. The outside of the bowl should be pleasantly warm to the touch, not uncomfortably hot. Overheating can permanently damage the bowl. (Don't even think about breaking in a pipe by lighting it and holding it out the window of a moving car. Also, don't ask me how I know that's a bad idea.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Joel,

There's a traditional way to break in a pipe; the tradition is at least partly grounded in experience.
    Man, I was REALLY hoping you were about to go into a comment about some sort of marital activity :-)

Well, I suppose that can come afterwards...

Thanks for the advice! I knew this was complex, but I can tell I'm going to need more pipe cleaners. One last thing before I try all of this: Which tobacco should I try first? Should I just go with the free stuff that came with the pipes? I assume from your earlier comments that I should avoid the aromatics at first.

Joel

Guru

As Tim (DrinkyBanjo) noted, other people's response to the aromas you release cannot be totally ignored -- even though that's what I usually did.

With no description of the free pouch you mentioned, I'd suggest you start with either the Old Lodge or the Calypso Black. I'd guess the latter may be more pleasant for bystanders. (What was that term Tim used? Was it "room note"? Very classy.)

I think I'll give the nod to the Old Lodge by a slight margin. It sounds as though it might be a little strong for a new pipe smoker; however, you're already a bourbon drinker, and that should count for something.

I predict you will find the OL a little easier to pack to just the right density for easy puffing and even burning. You should feel a bit more than a slight resistance when you try to draw air through the pipe. Check occasionally while you're loading it. If it feels too firm, empty it, and start over.

Cavendish, which is a rather broad category in regard to flavor and aroma, is usually a little clumpier, although you can rub it between your palms to separate it further, and it's more susceptible to uneven packing. It also may be a little sludgier and harder to keep lit.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

I think I'll give the nod to the Old Lodge by a slight margin. It sounds as though it might be a little strong for a new pipe smoker; however, you're already a bourbon drinker, and that should count for something.
    I was concerned about this, and then i realized that I smoke big heavy cigars. I can't imagine this will be stronger than something like a Cuban Montecristo #2... If it is, well, all the better!

The package should arrive tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again for all your help.

Joel

With no description of the free pouch you mentioned, I'd suggest you start with either the Old Lodge or the Calypso Black. I'd guess the latter may be more pleasant for bystanders. (What was that term Tim used? Was it "room note"? Very classy.)
    Ok,

The stuff arrived today. w00t!

The Calypso Black smells like everything I've ever imagined a pipe smelling like. The room note should be fantastic, and I'm hoping it's good to smoke.

The "English" has a bit of a cigar smell to it. Something in the aromatic sampler is giving off a very bad smell. I had to put all five of them in a second ziplock to keep it from overwhelming everything. I hope I don't end up tossing all of that.

The Old Lodge smells awesome. It has a rich tobacco smell coupled with the smell of a campfire. This stuff immediately brought back memories of the old lodge we used to own in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. I think it would have done that even without the name.

I'll probably smoke the english tonight, simply because it looks really dry and relatively easy to ignite. I don't know if I'll like it, so I might bring some of the old lodge along as well.

The pipes are an interesting collection. I have attached a photo. I like the look and feel of the larger pipes, probably the red one, not the black one. The black one has a very rough, almost natural wood finish.

Sorry about the picture being lousy, I didn't have good lighting so I had to use a flash. Never a good idea.

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images