Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Chuck Cowdery, Take a Bow! (Again)

Virtually everyone here knows snippets of the tale of Michter's Distillery and its relationship to the highly-praised A.H. Hirsch bottlings. Pieces of the story have come from here and there over the years, with other large and glaring pieces missing tantalizingly.
    In the two most recent issues of his "The Bourbon Country Reader", Chuck has disitlled, if you will, the conjoining stories of Michter's and Hirsch with a completeness and clarity heretofore lacking in any public record. Not only is the history there, but the biographies, too, and raw numbers of bottles produced, when, and at which proof under what label. Where continued speculation remains necessary, Chuck uses his wide contacts, and vast knowledge and experience of the American whiskey industry to make astute and reasonable propositions.
    As always, the writing itself has Chuck's characteristic readability and concision, with transitions that help answer anticipated questions.
    If the story of Michter's and/or A.H. Hirsch bourbon intrigues you, no longer must you ponder it in mystery -- Chuck has produced a seminal and bravura synopsis of one of the legends of American whiskey.
    Well done.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Thank you, Tim, for your most generous review. I appreciate it very much.

Connoisseur
    I second everything Tim said. A pleasure to read.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Virtually everyone here knows snippets of the tale of Michter's Distillery and its relationship to the highly-praised A.H. Hirsch bottlings. Pieces of the story have come from here and there over the years, with other large and glaring pieces missing tantalizingly.
    In the two most recent issues of his "The Bourbon Country Reader", Chuck has disitlled, if you will, the conjoining stories of Michter's and Hirsch with a completeness and clarity heretofore lacking in any public record. Not only is the history there, but the biographies, too, and raw numbers of bottles produced, when, and at which proof under what label. Where continued speculation remains necessary, Chuck uses his wide contacts, and vast knowledge and experience of the American whiskey industry to make astute and reasonable propositions.
    As always, the writing itself has Chuck's characteristic readability and concision, with transitions that help answer anticipated questions.
    If the story of Michter's and/or A.H. Hirsch bourbon intrigues you, no longer must you ponder it in mystery -- Chuck has produced a seminal and bravura synopsis of one of the legends of American whiskey.
    Well done.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Guru
    Anybody here who hasn't yet subscribed to Chuck's newsletter... should do so today! It's simply the best source of news, knowledge, lore, and wisdom on our favorite drink.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    Anybody here who hasn't yet subscribed to Chuck's newsletter... should do so today! It's simply the best source of news, knowledge, lore, and wisdom on our favorite drink.
    Not to knock Chuck, but you're completely forgetting someplace very important....this website
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru
    I stand corrected... I meant to say (and should have) the best printed source.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

newsletters

Chuck, marvelous job! I just finsihed reading the two Hirsch articles from my new subscription to your newsletter. This was by far the most informative information on Michter's distillery and the AH Hirsch bourbon that I have seen accumulated together. Cheers!