Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon again?

Novice

Bourbon again?

Okay I'm new and I sad to say I do not drink bourbon (long time ago when I was young I drank too much of JD black lable and I prayed to the toliet gods all night long). I do like to collect bourbon stuff but I would like to try and drink bourbon again . On the rocks or straight. My husband would like to try some also but we have no idea what to buy or where to start. Any idea please? I would still like to stay away from JD, JB and MM (they are some others but do not want to list them all)
    A Bourbon collector not quite the drinker

Guru
    I would probably recommend one of the fine products from Buffalo Trace, such as Buffalo Trace itself or perhaps Elmer T. Lee. Weller Antique might also be a good choice.
    Good Luck,
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Okay I'm new and I sad to say I do not drink bourbon (long time ago when I was young I drank too much of JD black lable and I prayed to the toliet gods all night long). I do like to collect bourbon stuff but I would like to try and drink bourbon again . On the rocks or straight. My husband would like to try some also but we have no idea what to buy or where to start. Any idea please? I would still like to stay away from JD, JB and MM (they are some others but do not want to list them all)
    Welcome! I'm a newcomer here also. I have done my share of worshipping the Porcelain Princess thanks to JB white, among other things. Never could stand Jack Black enough to get drunk on it - although Gentleman Jack ain't too shabby!

I second the suggestion for Elmer T Lee. Either neat, or with a wee few drops of water. Even if it doesn't tickle your fancy the first night you try it, give it a couple more tries. The third time I had it was like, wow! Smoothe, sweet, warm.

I also like the one that a friend turned me on to, which led me into the world of good bourbon, Eagle Rare Single Barrel. Snappier, a little more complex, but v e r y well balanced
    Back in my rummy days, I would tremble and shake for hours upon arising. It was the only exercise I got. -W.C. Fields-

Connoisseur
    Welcome to the board!!

Too many choices. You really need to try a few different things, and get some preferences. Not to say ETL is bad (it is GREAT IMO), but if you don't like something sweet, it may not be good for you.

I would recommed getting a few different bottles, and seeing what works and what doesn't. My recommendation:

Wild Turkey 101
    Elmer T. Lee
    Elijah Craig 12 or an Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Jim Beam Black (much different than the white) or a bottle of Knob Creek

I think after you try some of these it will be easier for us to make a recommendation.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    I would probably recommend one of the fine products from Buffalo Trace, such as Buffalo Trace itself or perhaps Elmer T. Lee. Weller Antique might also be a good choice.
    Good Luck,
    Joe
    I'd second these choices. Welcome and enjoy!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I'm a bit surprized no one has recommended Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 90.

I think this makes a good reentry point.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    I'm a bit surprized no one has recommended Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 90.

I think this makes a good reentry point.
    Timothy -

I will go ahead and disagree with you here. Simply put, I think that is an absoulutely terrific bourbon, but not for a beginner. I really think that it is better to figure out what your palate likes, and wait until there is more tasting ability developed. That is just my (very) humble opinion.

Connoisseur
    Buffalo Trace, it the best starter bourbon, IMO. It's very good, inexpensive and nothing incredibly complex. Just straight, simple and good. A wonderful spirit and a great example of what good bourbon should be.
    Buffalo Trace runs around $16 or so in your local liquor store.

After that I would recommend a Van Winkle, specifically The Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B, referred to on this board simply as Lot B. Unfortunately this one's cost varies widely from area to area, from about $32 to $55, but it's an excellent bourbon, one of my all time favorites.

Also some less expensive ones that are also very nice,
    W.L. Weller 12 year old - Under $20
    Evan William 1783 - Very nice, but rye heavy $10
    Old Forrester 100 proof, a little stronger, but still smooth - $12

I'd also look for something from the Wild Turkey line, Wild Turkey 101, WT Russell's Reserve, or WT Rare Breed, great bourbons.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    Another thing, many years ago I had a similar situation with Jack Daniels as well. It took me years to drink whiskey again, but I doubt you'd have many people advocate your drinking of JD period, let alone to excess. I think you'll find once you get into real, fine bourbon, you'll develop a true appreciate and realize how it's miles away from Jack Daniels.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Novice
    Thank-you for all the input. I will try some of these choices maybe this weekend but I want it to be a little bit colder out side for some strange reason. I can drink SoCo on ice with a back up of water and that really the only hard stuff I can drink straight. I'm really a dark beer, red wine person. Husband Coors Light guy.

My picks will be:

Buffalo Trace
    Elmer T Lee

One silly question-crushed ice or not?
    A Bourbon collector not quite the drinker