Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Newbie Here

Novice

Newbie Here

I'm looking to become a better educated 'bourbonier' and I'm very happy I came across this board. Looking forward to discovering all that's out there about bourbon. Thank you!

I'm not very experieced, as I've indulged in only about 5 different bourbons, and am dying to buy a new bottle. I'm currently working on Makers, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Love the Knob Creek - every sip is a little different. Woodford is super smooth and buttery, but not the direction I like.

Anyone have any ideas as to my next purchase if I am into the Knob Creek direction? Smokey, nutty, 100 proof etc...

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    Welcome here. Bookers or Bakers if you want to stay with Jim Beam. Wild Turkey for Smokey high proof.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Connoisseur
    If you like your Maker's, you want to try to find a bottle of Van Winkle, my recommendation goes towards Van Winkle, Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B. It's a fantastic bourbon, one of the best, IMO. I link them together, because they are both wheaters, meaning that they are made from corn, malted barley and wheat. (Many others are corn, barley and Rye.)
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Novice
    My warmest thanks. I don't buy bottles very often, so I will have to make my next one count. My wife gives me a curious and ever-so-slightly disapproving look every time I break out the drinking glass, so I have to choose my tasting moments as well.

I am widdling it down to several so far from what I've read...

Bookers
    Eagle Rare Single Barrell
    WL Weller Centennial
    Wild Turkey (101 or Kentucky Spirit)
    Van Winkle 12 Reserve

This may take a while. I'll let you noww how it goes. Thanks again!

Guru
    [quote=bsdman My wife gives me a curious and ever-so-slightly disapproving look every time I break out the drinking glass, so I have to choose my tasting moments as well.

quote]Hey Guys,... I think we have another convert here.
    How shall we we drag him over to the Dark Side?

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdman
    My warmest thanks. I don't buy bottles very often, so I will have to make my next one count. My wife gives me a curious and ever-so-slightly disapproving look every time I break out the drinking glass, so I have to choose my tasting moments as well.
    Easy fix here. Get yourself a good drinking buddy who's wife also dissaproves. Put them together, while you and your buddy sneek away for a few drinks in another part of the house. Blamo!! Problem solved!!

Connoisseur
    If it were my last bottle, before my wife made me walk the plank and I had not experienced many bourbons, I would definitely buy the Weller Centennial, mind you, that's picking from the list you provided. The Van Winkle is very good, but it's questionable that you are going to start out liking it. The Centennial is much more newbie friendly in my eyes.
    Last edited by Nebraska; 10-27-2006 at 18:03.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Quote Originally Posted by bsdman
    Bookers
    Eagle Rare Single Barrell
    WL Weller Centennial
    Wild Turkey (101 or Kentucky Spirit)
    Van Winkle 12 Reserve
    I would go with the Eagle Rare 10yo from this list.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur
    i got one-upped! Joel is right. Of course so am I. The ER 10 yo is a great choice too, very newbie friendly...but if I wasn't going to be able to buy one for a while...? Alright price wise I'd go with the ER 10, Centennial still would get my vote for last one before I walked the plank.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004