Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509

    Jack Daniel's 1904 Gold Medal

    I found this bottle of Jack Daniel's Yesterday in a store that I rarely stop in to. Jack Daniel's 1904 St. Louis World's Fair Gold Medal. It was marked $65.00 and the owner said he would take less if I wanted it. I ended up getting it for $35.00!!! Anyway, does anyone know if this is rare? I believe this is the first bottle in the Gold Medal series but I was wondering about it's value. I looked on ebay but none have been sold and now I am afraid to open it. Anyone have any idea of it's value?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    I found this bottle of Jack Daniel's Yesterday in a store that I rarely stop in to. Jack Daniel's 1904 St. Louis World's Fair Gold Medal. It was marked $65.00 and the owner said he would take less if I wanted it. I ended up getting it for $35.00!!! Anyway, does anyone know if this is rare? I believe this is the first bottle in the Gold Medal series but I was wondering about it's value. I looked on ebay but none have been sold and now I am afraid to open it. Anyone have any idea of it's value?
    They are not particularly rare -- I can find them here and there still on store shelves in Middle Tennessee. And while there may not be any on eBay NOW, I'm sure I've seen them pretty regularly there.
    Jack Daniel's knows it has a large collector base, and so issues these things in large enough quantity to sell them in large quantity. The fact that they sell pretty ordinary, young-ish whiskey at a premium (for what it is) price, and sell more of it than anybody else, vouches for the effectiveness of their marketing.
    Tim

  3. #3
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,149
    Yes but the contents are probably on a par with the Single Barrel - which is good whiskey.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Yes but the contents are probably on a par with the Single Barrel - which is good whiskey.

    Gary
    I doubt it, Gary. It's my understanding that they put standard-issue Jack Daniel's in these things, though they may vary the proof. As I noted above, they make them in large quantities -- large enough to 'batch' a group of barrels to fill them. There can be as many a half-dozen different versions of these decanters on the shelves at a time -- the decanters are the thing for JD, not the whiskey. They're intended for sale to Jack Daniel's collectors who may or may not ever drink the contents.
    Tim

  5. #5
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,149
    We need to do a side by side but I doubt this is standard Jack, Tim.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    We need to do a side by side but I doubt this is standard Jack, Tim.

    Gary
    Then the folks at JD don't know what they're talking about .
    Tim

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    They are not particularly rare -- I can find them here and there still on store shelves in Middle Tennessee. And while there may not be any on eBay NOW, I'm sure I've seen them pretty regularly there.
    Jack Daniel's knows it has a large collector base, and so issues these things in large enough quantity to sell them in large quantity. The fact that they sell pretty ordinary, young-ish whiskey at a premium (for what it is) price, and sell more of it than anybody else, vouches for the effectiveness of their marketing.
    You can find this one? Are you sure you are not mixing it up with the 1915 Gold Medal bottle which I always see? I believe this is the first in the Gold medal series maybe from 1994 or so? Anyone know?

  8. #8
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,149
    The Silver Select is better than and, based on two samples, has its own character compared to Single Barrel.

    Yet I am told the only difference is the proof.

    Gary

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509

    Smile

    I would like to try the silver select. I haven't run into a bottle of that yet.

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    I would like to try the silver select. I haven't run into a bottle of that yet.
    Its sold Duty-Free. EXPORT ONLY!!!

    Brown-Forman must figure that if JD drinkers in the US keep buying all that 80 proof " bananna water", why bother giving them something good to drink from Tenn.
    Last edited by Joeluka; 10-30-2006 at 05:39.
    Joe

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Jack Daniel's 1914 Gold Medal
    By wrbriggs in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 13:47
  2. A double gold medal...
    By boone in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 18:18
  3. Jack Daniel's 1914 Gold Medal
    By johnrobe in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2002, 15:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top