Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Novice

New Mamber/First Tasting

Hello All,
    I've been lurking for a week or so, and in that brief time have learned a lot from the folks here, for which I am greatful!

Since I was a wee little tike about 25 years ago, I've enjoyed bourbon, as well as most anything else alcoholic. But more and more I have recently begun to appreciate the enjoyment of a good glass of bourbon. A friend of mine turned me on to Eagle Rare, and we've enjoyed that on several occaisions. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a bottle of Bakers on a whim. WOW! Good stuff! I love the complexity, the caramel, and the peppery finish! That bottle was the turning point for me. I am definitly a bourbon lover now!

So.. After doing some reading here, I've decided to conduct my first little blind tasting, to help me try and pick a couple of favorites to be my regular pours. I guess I am looking for my favorite bang-for-the-buck. Can anyone suggest how to go about this? Should I try and sample them all in one sitting, or would I fry my taste buds? As you see below, I've already sampled most of my recent purchases.

Here's what I have to compare:
    Bakers - So far, my favorite, but too pricey to be my regular pour. I think if there was a moderate-priced version of this I would be very happy!!

Maker's Mark - Already tried this too. Really like the smoothness. This is definitely a keeper

Eagle Rare - Very good. I think I like MM just a tad bit better

Elijah Craig - To those who are fans, sorry, I didn't think this worthy of being on the same shelf as the others. This is now my cocktail bottle. Reminded me of something my friend might have brought home from the lab. I've been drinking everything neat, or with a little water. EC needs a bit more help!

Bulleit - Just got a mini. Haven't opened yet.

Knob Creek - ditto

Elmer T Lee - I just bought this yesterday after reading extensively about it here. Tried a little last night. Good, but not as complex as I'd hoped. Maybe it was the snifter I used , but it almost singed my nose hairs! I'm anxious to try it again though, a very solid pour.

Wild Turkey 101 - Of course. Just bought this yesterday too. I expected this to be pretty rough compared to the ETL, but I was very pleasantly surprised! Overall, it actually seemed smoother and more flavorful than ETL, with an amazingly smooth finish!

Any suggestions? Either things to try, or methods to objectively testing my new babies? I think I should throw in a version of Evan Williams, since I've always liked that as a lower cost bottle.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!
    Last edited by Virginia Gent; 10-19-2006 at 12:06.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Gent
    Hello All,

Maker's Mark - Already tried this too. Really like the smoothness. This is definitely a keeper

Eagle Rare - Very good. I think I like MM just a tad bit better

You will get over that...

Just Kidding! But if you like MM then you should explore wheaters. Any of the Van Winkles available in your area? Weller's?

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple
    Elmer T Lee - I just bought this yesterday after reading extensively about it here. Tried a little last night. Good, but not as complex as I'd hoped. Maybe it was the snifter I used , but it almost singed my nose hairs! I'm anxious to try it again though, a very solid pour.
    That doesn't make any sense to me. But then, I have found the ETL to be rather variable. Either Stellar or Excellet, but not the same from bottle to bottle. But I have never had any nasal hair combustion with it.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple
    Wild Turkey 101 - Of course.
    They just don't make any bad whiskey at WT. It is all good.

Try the WT Rare Breed.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    That doesn't make any sense to me. But then, I have found the ETL to be rather variable. Either Stellar or Excellet, but not the same from bottle to bottle. But I have never had any nasal hair combustion with it.

Ed
    I really think its the glass I just bought yesterday. I havent seen one like it before. It's basically a cross between a rocks glass and a snifter. Starting at the bottom of the glass, the wall extends up and out at about 90 degrees, then abrubtly curving back inward. Basically snifter-sized, but kind of diamond shaped. I'll have to try and upload a pic. It's a great drinking glass, but it seems to really concentrate the aroma *too* much. I'll try the ETL again in what I'd previously used, a crystal wine glass.

Novice
    You will get over that...

Just Kidding! But if you like MM then you should explore wheaters. Any of the Van Winkles available in your area? Weller's?

Ed
    Negative on Wellers. We do have VW Special Reserve 12 yr at $36 vs $25 for MM

Actually, I need to try the MM and ETL on the same day. I can't believe the ETL didn't impress me better than it did. But I only had one small pour and kind of rushed it.

Is the bold/flavor-packed/spicy-smooth character of Bakers due to a higher rye profile? If so, what should I try with more rye?

Novice
    They just don't make any bad whiskey at WT. It is all good.

Try the WT Rare Breed.

Ed
    I'll have to try that. We also have Russells Reserve
    Ultimately I'd like to end up with 2 "everyday" favorites, one a mellow Makers or Elmer T Lee type, and a punchier, bolder Bakers type.

Ahhhh, the joy of discovery!
    Last edited by Virginia Gent; 10-19-2006 at 12:07.

Advanced Taster
    Negative on Wellers. We do have VW Special Reserve 12 yr at $36 vs $25 for MM
    Try the VW. It's worth the extra money.

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies

Guru
    Welcome, congratulations, and (sigh) condolences.

Welcome to the world of bourbon and, more importantly, to this community. Here you will find expertise, experience, opinion, and friendship.

The condolences part comes with the seductiveness and allure of bourbon. Some days she (a particular brand) is the most exciting and intoxicating thing in the world... then you glance upon another and have a taste and you heart and soul are captured anew. The old love dims and seem callow and shallow. The new seems vibrant and alive....

The process repeats and repeats... at some point you remember and pine for the love that has past. In hindsight (and perhaps desperation) she seems to be the love of all times. "How could I have been so shallow?"

So enjoy the moment... look for the promise of tomorrow... and, when possible (or necessary) revisit and re-live the past.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Novice
    Thanks John and Jay!
    It does indeed seem like a very friendly and helpful community here, and I appreciate the ability to participate in my humble newbie way.
    Some days she (a particular brand) is the most exciting and intoxicating thing in the world
    Nice metaphor! Makes me feel like I have a harem waiting for me! I hope Wifey doesn't get jealous!

Ahhh 40 minutes til quitting time. Hmmm.. what will it be, the ETL or WT101?.....