Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Wild Turkey American Honey

I had forgotten about the Prichard's, which is easy to do since its distribution is very small.

As for vatting, Andy, around here it's a synonym for gillmanization, which means a mixture of two or more whiskeys to create a sum that is, hopefully, greater than its parts. Yes, it can be done in the glass, or scaled up from there.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It's a practice as old as the hills and still done by non-distilling merchants (sometimes), and done in a way by some distillers. For example, albeit from 100% of its own production Wild Turkey takes 6, 8 and 12 year old bourbons and blends them to get a consistent, pleasing taste, it's called Rare Breed. So you can do it too, in your own way.

Also, one might view this as sort of making a cocktail, which is partly a combination of different liquors (sometimes again).

Once you feel familiar with the different tastes, you can balance them to get something that may please as much, or more, and be different.

My name has become associated with this courtesy some SB-ers kindly giving me the nod but it's nothing that I invented, only an old practice being revived (or rather noticed).

If you added American Honey to Wild Turkey you would end up with an American analogue to a Rusty Nail (Scotch and Drambuie).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-05-2007 at 18:28.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

If, say you blend two parts Lot B to one of Elijah Craig 12 years old, you would get an interesting (I think) 4-grain bourbon.

Try it in the glass, this is simplicity itself.

Gary

Disciple

I've had either this or the original version and thought it tasted pretty awful. Cough syrup comes to mind...
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

rusty nails, galvanized screws

well, i love honey...and all i hope is that this is not TOO SWEET (like limoncello-sweet!).

i know not to expect bourbon when sipping WTAHoney...which i plan to get, maybe today. i trust the brand and the intention.

now is this to compete with Jagermeister?

i would think at least Berenjaeger....that IS honey-based (tho still a different animal).

Jager is great, i love it, but that stuff DOES taste medicinal....i can't image this WTAH tasting that way.

an experiment i look forward to...

btw, i think i will pick up a bottle of good ole WT101...and should the honey version be too sweet, i'll make that american "rusty nail"...at least it will stay in the (WT) family!

edit ADDENDUM:

funny, on the WT website, they still feature a bottle of the OLD RR101 and the WT "Liqueur" (and is a lower proof than AH which i think is 70 or 72)....so, the bottle nor the description of the newer products--like RR90--is listed. appears not to have been updated!

here's the short description given of the now discontinued WT Liqueur:
    Wild Turkey Liqueur (60°, 30% alcohol) The only bourbon-based liqueur on the market, Wild Turkey liqueur brings out the best flavors of our premium bourbon, but with real honey to give it a sweetness that's hard to resist. The palate is a bit like syrup and glides around the mouth with obvious notes of vanilla and citrus.

Perfectly suited for after-dinner consumption, it rounds-out Wild Turkey’s portfolio of exceptional products. Wild Turkey Liqueur also marries well with Wild Turkey Bourbon to make a Kentucky-style "Golden Nail." It also goes well with vanilla ice cream, pecan pie, or as an ingredient in a butterscotch sauce.

Wild Turkey Liqueur is the recipient of a Silver Medal at the 2000 San Francisco World Spirits Competition

AND i stand corrected....they do have a NAIL...the GOLDEN NAIL.....!
    now what about WT101 and Drambuie?........
    Last edited by polyamnesia; 11-10-2007 at 08:10.
    HUP!

Re: rusty nails, galvanized screws

That's the old package.

Guru

I have a bottle, cuz I am a Turkey hound, I have had a couple of pours from it.
    No, it does not taste like cough syurp, it taste like someone poured honey into some Wild Turkey, I could never do this.
    I was at the Wild Turkey gift shop after the tour once and someone was buying a bottle of it, the saleslady suggested that they pour some into a vanilla milkshake.
    Probably a good idea, but I think some real Wild Turkey in that milkshake would be even better.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    That's the old package.
    yeah, that's what's odd. the WT website hasn't updated it to show the new package...

nor is the Russell's Reserve 90 shown...again, it's the OLD product that isn't made anymore.
    HUP!

The Wild Turkey web site is several years out of date. They never have paid much attention to their web site. I don't know why.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The Wild Turkey web site is several years out of date. They never have paid much attention to their web site. I don't know why.

very odd. at least the attention is going to the product. i am really enjoying the WT RR 101 i just procured. the new Stagg rocks, but i am simply enjoying this, as it is, neat. the 90 is similar, but this one has a great nose. i still have yet to try the other upper echelons offerings, but this is the best yet.
    HUP!