Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 12/06: Old Grand Dad 114

Well, colder weather is upon us and there is no better way to stay warm than with a nice, strong pour of bourbon. We've been talking a lot about the higher-proof offerings of Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey, but this month we're going old-school with one of the original big-gun bourbons:

Old Grand Dad 114

Today, OGD resides in the House of Beam, and we should be thankful that they've maintained its level of quality. High-rye and high-proof equals warm nights ahead. Take this opportunity to rediscover a bourbon with a long and distinguished pedigree.

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Re: BOTM, 12/06: Old Grand Dad 114

One of my favorites, and you're right, it is especially a good cold weather pour.

Love that rye sriciness with just the right amount of burn. Hearty and honest... a real stand-up bourbon!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster

One of my favorites too, also a "best buy."

Guru

The surprise with this pour was at that proof one would expect a big burn. It has some power but at 114 I was surprised at how "in control" the burn was allowing that Rye to come through. It is relatively inexpensive out here on the Left Coast, not to mention easy to find.
    Last edited by SBOmarc; 12-04-2006 at 14:51.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The thing I like best about Old Grand-Dad is that it is exactly what it should be exactly as it is. In other words, I don't find myself wishing I could taste it a little older or wishing for some other variation. It's a little yeasty but the signature taste is a sharp edge I liken to hot cinnamon candy. Some of that comes from the rye and some of it comes from the char. It's hard to tell where the rye stops and the char begins because they are so harmonious. It also seems drier than most bourbons. I get a lot of licorice on the nose.

I tend to prefer the BIB to the 114, but they are pretty similar. Both are old school bourbons that deserve attention.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's a little yeasty but the signature taste is a sharp edge I liken to hot cinnamon candy. Some of that comes from the rye and some of it comes from the char. It's hard to tell where the rye stops and the char begins because they are so harmonious. It also seems drier than most bourbons. I get a lot of licorice on the nose.
    My sentiments exactly...

Disciple

What Chuck said. I didn't know that was what I thougt about Old Grand Dad but you nailed it. The only time I wished for a different expression was before I had had the BIB. Oh, I would like to try an old bottle one day...

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Apprentice

Oh hell yeah. One of my favorites. This is probably the only Beam product that I buy even on a semi-regular basis. The right price, the right proof, the taste is great, the bottle is attractive. . .everything works!

Taster

OGD is actually what sparked my whole interest in bourbon. I had always heard (from dolts mind you) that OGD was rot gut and that it was the choice of high schoolers looking to get drunk quick. I'm glad I didn't listen to those fools and tried all 3 expressions for myself.

I found I liked 114 the best. I knew even less then than I know now about bourbon and the fact that it was 114 proof, yet tasted best when compared to the other OGD's confused me. I came here and learned more and I'm sure glad I did!

I was given a bottle of the 114 as a gift from a guy who's dad worked for Beam for 42 years. I think it's a pretty old bottle as the ones I see in stores now look much different. I'll try to get a pic of it posted here. My only complaint, if you consider this a complaint, is that I've noticed it's hard to find 114 in bars here in Lake county, IL.

Cheers!

Advanced Taster

This thread is making me THIRSTY
    Chris/Oregon