Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I haven't seen the white label 7-year-old outside of Kentucky. I'm not even sure what the point of it is.

Unless something has changed, the 4-year-old does have an age statement on the side, in fairly small type. It is, so far as I know, the only 4-year-old that actually declares its age.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I don't have any JB white in the house right now, so instead of a tasting note I'd like to share a different kind of note, one I sent to the Jim Beam PR department on October 20. I have yet to get a reply. If anyone would like to pile on, be my guest. They put this stuff out there and I think they should be made to answer for it.

"In the current issue of the Jim Beam 'Brotherhood of Bourbon' newsletter, the following statement appears: 'Jim Beam is the only American whiskey that has been made the same way, following the same recipe, for 211 years.' Other forms of this claim appear in all current Jim Beam advertising.

"What is the support for this claim? What exactly did Jacob Beam do in 1795 that is still done the same way in making the Jim Beam bourbon of today, that no other American whiskey maker does?

"Where is this 'recipe' and how has it been authenticated?

"How can Jim Beam be 'the only American whiskey that has been made the same way … for 211 years' when Jim Beam Bourbon has been made for only about 70 years and 1795 was 69 years before Jim Beam was born?

"In other words, I’m asking for the official defense of the brand’s current ad claim. Thanks for your help."

Connoisseur
    So how exactly does a false advertising law suit work?

Seriously though Chuck, I am all with you on this one. I think it is a shame that they are allowed to get away with such blatant lying to the public...

Good work Chuck, I will be very interested to see your reply....that is if you ever get one....

I think I will give this that pass also, they bring this over here and as if it isn't bad enough at 80 proof (sorry, just my opinion), they cut it down to 74 proof and that really doesnt do it for me. I think 2 out of those 4 years it is aged in the oil sumps of Ford Cortinas......

I don't hate Beam products, I just have a major dislike for this particular one......I would have their Green label any day of the week.

Scott
    Last edited by HighTower; 11-03-2006 at 18:54.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Novice
    Jim Beam White - Hmmmm

Well it has been about 15 years since I had a bourbon and ginger, maybe tonight I will cut loose.
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    - Mark Twain

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    "How can Jim Beam be 'the only American whiskey that has been made the same way … for 211 years' when Jim Beam Bourbon has been made for only about 70 years and 1795 was 69 years before Jim Beam was born?
    One wonders about thing like this. Not too much gets past you Chuck.
    Joe
    Last edited by jeff; 11-05-2006 at 06:21.
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I'm tasting Jim Beam White Label. I am doing so in the interests of assessing a broad range of bourbons, especially those widely available. As I understood the concept initially, the idea of BOTM was not to choose the "best" each month, given too that many of us know what the best is and there is a finite number of "best" brands, but a broad range of whiskeys so we scope out all there is to know and maybe find some surprises, confirm preconceptions, whatever.

Therefore, those interested in BOTM might consider contributing their thoughts. I respect all the palates on the board and learn from each one.

There is a marked grain smell to the whiskey, probably it is mostly the rye but also the way it combines with the signature Beam wood taste (not very charred - even at older ages and in the form say of Baker's). Maybe the yeast does some of this work too.

The taste is grainy again but quite sweet and (in this sample anyway) very soft and smooth on the finish. A second taste discloses something more behind these forward, uncomplex flavors, something fruity-like, not black fruit but apple/pear-like. This invites a third sip and suddenly the whiskey is less forward in taste but somehow more drinkable, as if things "even out" (whereas your finely calibrated wheater may taste great on first sip but often loses savor on the second go-around).

This is good whiskey - solid, tasty, worth the money. Not the best, maybe even at its price point, but pretty good, and another thing: most people (in the market at large) will drink it in a cocktail, with Coke, or on ice. I am sure the taste of the Beam whiskeys is designed (at least today, if not say in 1980) to come through the chill shock of ice or the taste overload of Coke and not just that, but to paint a picture - to create a sensory memory for the drinker. That's good strategy on the part of Beam Brands. If your bourbon and coke tastes more or less like a blended whisky or Canadian and cola, why will someone call for Beam and cola next time?

Let me put it this way: given a choice between a rocks Beam White and a rocks FRSB, I'll take the Beam. I admire FRSB greatly but it is as delicate a single barrel whiskey as I know. Douse it with ice and it loses a lot of its qualities. And I do want a rocks drink sometimes, e.g., in summer, or if I am "nursing".

This whiskey is the Beam standard, Baker's and most others in the Beam line are not that different. Yes, maybe the others are a bit more caramel-tasting or higher in proof, but the building blocks are the Beam white profile (except perhaps for KC).

It's good stuff. Next time I am in a restaurant with a line-up of Beam White, Maker's Mark and Jack Daniels Black Label, I'll choose the Beam White.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-04-2006 at 18:46.

Guru

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    I'm tasting Jim Beam White Label. I am doing so in the interests of assessing a broad range of bourbons, especially those widely available. As I understood the concept initially, the idea of BOTM was not to choose the "best" each month, given too that many of us know what the best is and there is a finite number of "best" brands, but a broad range of whiskeys so we scope out all there is to know and maybe find some surprises, confirm preconceptions, whatever.

Therefore I urge those interested in BOTM to contribute their thoughts. I respect all the palates on the board and learn from each one.
    Okay, I had no intention of participating in this BOTM, but you have convinced me that it is the correct and proper thing to do. I will buy a small bottle of Jim Beam as soon as I can and provide my insights.

Thanks, Gary.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru
    Tim,

One good thing about this BOTM is the widespread availability of 50 ml. bottles. I picked up a couple today here in outback Arizona.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Novice
    Well, it just so happens that when I was at the liquor store today I bought 1L of Jim Beam white label for use at a party. After I got home I found this thread and figured why not join the forum and post my tasting thoughts on the Jim Beam White Label. As a warning I have very little qualitative tasting experience. Though I have had a few good bourbons before (Van Winkle).

This first thing that struck me was how weak the smell was when compared with many of the other bourbon's I've had.

In terms of the taste, it was very soft, kind of sweet, and actually decently smooth. There wasn't much in the way of a fade. It sort of just came and went and that was it until the next sip.

It definitely wasn't the worst tasting whiskey I've ever had (read: I'm a college student) nor was it anywhere near the best. But, it will get the job done tonight and it will do it quite well.

Cheers,
    Andrew