Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: BOTM, 11/06: Jim Beam

I believe most drinkers -- of bourbon, and otherwise -- rarely move beyond habituation. If Jim Beam White were 'bad' bourbon, it wouldn't have the following it does. Luckily for Jim Beam, the combination of price and drinkability prompts many to never look for alternatives.
    I suspect once you sample a variety of bourbons, you will find something other than JBW that you prefer both for neat sipping and mixing, even accounting for price. But, until that happens, Jim Beam is acceptable whiskey.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Jim Beam is acceptable whiskey.
    Nope, gotta disagree, Jim Beam is hard to swallow, there is something nasty and oily about it that I can't handle.
    Like most products, at least for me, the industry leader is usually the worst.
    People just take things for granted and accept what is the only choice.
    For example, McDondald's, bad hamburgers but they are #1.
    General Motors, bad cars but they are #1.
    Bud Light, bad beer but they are #1.
    Gallo, bad wine but they are #1.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Nope, gotta disagree, Jim Beam is hard to swallow, there is something nasty and oily about it that I can't handle.
    Like most products, at least for me, the industry leader is usually the worst.
    People just take things for granted and accept what is the only choice.
    I'm sort of in the same vein. My first taste of bourbon was Jim Beam, and I shied away from whiskey for a while because of it. Wasn't until I tasted Heaven Hill that I really got interested. To my taste buds, regular Beam is very rough around the edges. On the other hand, I do enjoy other Beam products, like Knob Creek and Booker's.

Still, it's really all about what appeals to each individual's palate. Otherwise we wouldn't have so much variety!
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Novice

I will say this, for just over the counter, easy on the pocket book. Jim Beam is mighty tasty. If you want to mix it, you don't feel guilty about it, and it stands it OK on the rocks. One thing I will say about it--it is always consistent, and it is smooth.

I always have some on hand when I want something a little less complicated.

Now the 8 year----thats a bourbon of a different story. It has a little more balls to it!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The last couple of months have focused on the staples of a few of our fine KY distilleries (i.e. Maker's Mark and WT101.) With some input from esteemed forum members I thought it a good idea to continue this theme a bit further. This month we're going mainstream with the best-selling boourbon of all time:

Jim Beam While Label.

While this brand typically does not garner a connoisseur's praise, numbers don't lie, and at 5 million cases per year sold, it can't be all that bad. Some may not realize that Jim Beam white has two iterations: the standard 4yo and a longer-aged 7yo. Discussion this month will include both variations and I would like to encourage comparative tastings.

Use this opportunity to put aside pre-conceived notions and re-taste this classic bourbon with an open mind!

Sound off

Connoisseur

I never participated in this BOTM because I couldnīt get hold of a 350 ml bottle.

More the fool me, as I discovered when I sampled it at a hotel bar in Stockholm this wednesday.

A charming fruity and flowery nose led into a highly individual, sort of, cereal-like palate. The finish was slightly bitter but not wholly devoid of complexity.

Thumbs up from the (north) Swedish jury!
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Taster

My tasting notes form last year...i will try to get a sample this week..This is one of my early bourbon tasting notes....i thought it was decent stuff...

Nose: Lots of rye. Gentle and smooth. Mouth: Oh, yum. This is a lot like the JB Rye, but with some added oomph. Not thin like the regular rye seems, but a similar flavor profile. Some oak, but it does not overpower. Still a bit thin, but not to the point of spoiling the experience. Funny, I seem to like some of the cheaper bourbons, and some of the ones that have been less highly rated. Certainly not complex by any stretch, and it does thin out on the finish, which is my main concern with this whiskey.