Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New guy from Holland no less...

Hey there,

I'm Ivo from the Netherlands, and recently I've become interested in America's Native Spirit.

I was referred here by a guy from a scotch whisky forum, TNBourbon was his name-o (ok stupid joke)

Anyway.

I've been drinking scotch for a few years and now I feel the need to expand to other firewaters, I've made myself a selection of what's available here in the low countries.

Elijah Craig 12 YO 28.95
    Blanton's special Reserve 29.95
    Woodfort Reserve Distiller's Select 36.95
    Eagle Rare 10 YO 30,95
    Wild Turkey 8 YO litre 32,95
    Makers Mark 5 YO litre 35.95

All prices are in euro.

I think makers mark is too young, but I think it deserves a chance, also: I've heard that Wild Turkey Rare Breed is supposed to be really good, but the best offering here seems to be the 8YO, so it will have to do.

I'm particulary interested in the top three, I think I'm gonna buy woodfort, and either blantons or elijah craig, but I'm not sure yet and maybe one of you can change my mind on this.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Welcome Ivo.

I noticed your selection is fairly limited locally. It may help to know that there a several excellent store in Europe that ship. I'm not sure of any good shops in The Netherlands, but I do know of one in Battice, Belgium. I'm not sure how much you travel, but this may be an option if you wish to avoid shipping.

I'm a big fan of the Eagle Rare, but have never had the Blantons SR (that is the green label 80 proof, right?)

Best of luck in your tastings, you've found the right place to find all the information you could ever want.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    Welcome Ivo.

I noticed your selection is fairly limited locally. It may help to know that there a several excellent store in Europe that ship. I'm not sure of any good shops in The Netherlands, but I do know of one in Battice, Belgium. I'm not sure how much you travel, but this may be an option if you wish to avoid shipping.

I'm a big fan of the Eagle Rare, but have never had the Blantons SR (that is the green label 80 proof, right?)

Best of luck in your tastings, you've found the right place to find all the information you could ever want.
    Thanks for your reply.

Battice is not too far over the border, thanks for the tip! I dont think I'll be going there alot but I will be in the neighborhood at least once a year, as my uncle lives in Germany closeby, roughly where Germany, Holland and Belgium meet.
    It's a good 3 hour drive one way...

Anyway, the special reserve indeed has the green label and indeed it's 80 proof. The picture at my online supplier shows the normal one, but I'm sure that's a mistake.

I was under the impression that Elijah Craig, Blantons and Woodfort Reserve were good choices, especially in the variants I've chosen, at least to begin with, or do you disagree?

Full list of available stuff:

Blanton Special Reserve Bourbon - years ( 0,7 ltr, 40%)
    Eagle Rare 10 years ( 0,7 ltr, 50.5%)
    Early Times Private Stock 4 years ( 1,0 ltr, 40%)
    Elijah Craig 12 years ( 0,7 ltr, 47%)
    Four Roses 8 years ( 0,7 ltr, 40%)
    Jack Daniel's Black 6 years ( 1,0 ltr, 40%)
    Maker's Mark - hele liter 5 years ( 0,7 ltr, 45%)
    Rebel Yell 4 years ( 0,7 ltr, 40%)
    Wild Turkey 4 years ( 1,0 ltr, 43.4%)
    Wild Turkey 8 years ( 1,0 ltr, 50.5%)
    Woodfort Reserve - Distiller's Select - Bourbon - years ( 0,7 ltr, 45.2%)

Now this is just what's avaiable at my favorite scotch supplier, there may be other stores around, but I haven't really looked yet.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Just curious about the 8 year old Four Roses, I thought in Europe there was the single barrel 86 proof (not 100 as in Kentucky) and the no-age-expression (therefore probably 4 years old) 80 proof Four Roses.

In Kentucky now there is the said 80 proof Four Roses, 100 proof SB, and the new Small Batch 90 proof I believe it is.

Where does the 8 year old version fit in, is that a current bottling for export only?

Note also how ages are stated for many whiskeys where they carry no age in the U.S. This is interesting (e.g. is all Jack Black 6 years old even in the U.S.)? I wonder if some national laws in the E.U. require the ages to be mentioned. If not, maybe this is done for marketing reasons and maybe the versions are different than as sold in the U.S., e.g., I thought Jack Black was partly at least 4-5 years old in the U.S.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-03-2006 at 06:59.

Connoisseur
    There are people here that would be VERY envious of you having that 4 roses available to you there. I know it's the 80 proof, but it's still a really good pour.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Also, apparently three versions Mark (regular 80 proof, 8 years old green label 80 proof, and 86 proof SB (if still available, it was some years ago).

Gary

The age statements are done by the shop, the labels here don't state the age any more or less than other countries.

I have no idea about the four roses 8 YO.
    It seems to me that either the age statement is wrong, or the standard bottling is already 8 YO because it looks like the normal four roses to me.

check it out here

Looks like yer ordinary yeller label to me.
    Last edited by Drammer; 11-03-2006 at 07:41.

The information gathered by the shop may be accurate though. I have seen similar statements, placed e.g., on shelf tags by the LCBO in Ontario (liquor retailing monopoly) and undoubtedly this was provided by the manufacturer or wholesale supplier. E.g. I recall once that a merchant's bottling of an Islay whisky was indicated as being 5 years old even though the label did not say. I think in fact most Maker's Mark is a minimum of 5 years year old, so that information is accurate. As for JD Black, I can't say, possibly B-F ensures that what is sent overseas is at least 6 years old.

As for Four Roses at 8 years barrel age, I don't know, but mention was made of a green label version at that age.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-03-2006 at 08:37.

Administrator in exile
    Wow, Tim (TNBourbon) has been publically outed as a scotch drinker...the shame! Dismissal proceedings shall commence immediately!

Welcome Drammer
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    As for Four Roses at 8 years barrel age, I don't know, but mention was made of a green label version at that age.

Gary
    I have never heard of a green label Four Roses. Who mentioned that, Gary? A store in Canada?

Welcome to the forum, Ivo! If you´re not already familiar with their existence, Whiskykoning is a good Dutch whiskyshop who does mail order. I´ve ordered from them and found them to be very good to deal with.

http://www.whiskykoning.nl/
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!