Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Fresh Face with a Wild Turkey Question

Hello all,

I've been quietly lurking for a while, but figured it was time I stepped up and started to participate. I have two questions about Wild Turkey 12 year-old bourbon -- I used the search function, but could not find clear answers. I hope I'm not being blockheaded.

A colleage of mine just got back from Japan and presented me with a bottle of 12 year-old, 101 proof Wild Turkey as a gift (I'm starting to talk about bourbon a lot, I guess). I was wondering if this is the same bourbon that was previously sold in the States as WT 12 -- i.e. the same proof, etc? I've seen many references to the discontinued WT 12 on this board, but don't know why it was apparently pulled from the market in the US. It seems like the US-issue WT 12 was very highly regarded among members of this board, and I was just curious if I came into a bottle of identical bourbon, or if it's different, as an export version.

I was very touched by the gift. The only heartbreaker is that the bottle is 700 ml, not the standard 750 ml. Not that I'm complaining.

Thanks.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    The WT 12 year old is still sold overseas in certain markets and in several US airport duty free shops (must be leaving US to purchase).

WT used to sell a 12 year old version here in the US and it is still found occasional on some dusty corner finds. There were a few different version sold; a split label and 2 versions with Gold Foil labeling.

You will start a big debate about which version is the best. Bottom line, they are very similiar and all very good. All the 12 YO versions I have seen have been 101 proof.

Advanced Taster
    Wadewood,

Thank you for replying. I had seen references to "split-label" and "gold foil" WT 12 on the board, but didn't know that opinions varied as to the bourbon inside the differing bottles. I'm certainly looking forward to my new bottle of WT 12, especially since it has the added, exotic element of a small, japanese-language "gold foil" label on the back. As I don't speak or read Japanese, it will serve as a reminder of the humor inherent in the bottle -- it went from Kentucky to Japan, then all the way back to California for consumption.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    You will start a big debate about which version is the best.
    Now ain't that a fact!!! Just for the record I think the export seems to be the tightest of them, if that makes any sense? It really needs a little water and a lot of air to open up and get over some of the woodiness.

Very tasty though they all are!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster
    Virus,

Thanks for the tip. I will try the WT 12 with some water, as well as neat, and definitely post some primitive "My First Tasting Notes." I'm particularly excited to try the 12 because standard WT 101 is basically what taught me to love bourbon. I've since tried a few other varieties of WT: I'm about finished with a bottle of Rare Breed and am carefully nursing the one bottle of RR 101 I found before they all disappeared from the Santa Barbara/Goleta area. Oh, and I sampled a bottle of "Old No. 8" WT, which, if I remember correctly did not have an actual age statement anywhere on the label. I really enjoy all of them, with the RR101 coming out on top. I suppose that's the way life works, right? We want what we can't have. Good thing there are so many other bourbons I have yet to try.

Speaking of which, it may be a bit before I post any thoughts about the export WT 12, as I just received bottles of the new Thomas Handy uncut rye and the 2006 Stagg, which I will probably not be able to resist opening today.

Thanks again,

Paul

Paul, did you order the Stagg and Handy from Binny's or have you found it somewhere in California already?

I may be able to help you with the RR101 down the road sometime, I see them around here quite regularly actually. And I actually find it the least appealing of all the Turkeys...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster
    Christian,

I had pre-ordered a couple of bottles of the Stagg and Handy from Brett at Binny's a few weeks ago, and they just arrived last night. I don't know of any store in California that has them in stock yet -- certainly not in my area, but then again, I've never seen any of the Antique Collection for sale in Santa Barbara/Goleta. Last year I found bottles of Sazerac, Stagg, and Weller at a few California retailers, including Hi Time Wines, K & L Wines, and Beverage Warehouse. Mission Liquors still has some of last year's collection in stock, but their prices are . . . . robust. At this point, it's easier to order from Binny's, and Brett has been extremely helpful and endlessly tolerant of my questions every time we've spoken. I might be able to help if you're missing any bottles from last year's collection, although from reading some of your posts I get the feeling you're an expert bottle hunter.

Thank you for raising the potential offer of help with RR101. I am awash in WT Rare Breed, and of course the standard 101 is available at Trader Joe's and every drugstore, but RR101 is long gone. Well, I shouldn't say that, as there's a liquor store in Goleta with at least one bottle left. However, the woman who seems to manage the place has it priced at -- I kid you not -- $90.00. When I politely told her that I had paid $30.00 for an identical bottle at a local store a week earlier, she said "In my store THIS is thirty dollars" and pointed to a bottle of standard WT 101. I thanked her for her time and left.

On the plus side, my RR101-hunting led me to a bottle of PVW 15 and one of Van Winkle Lot B last week. I have no idea if the Lot B is "new" or "old" whiskey, though. The bottle sure was dusty, but so was everything else in the store.

Paul

Connoisseur
    You are very lucky to have a bottle of the 12 year old. Enjoy it!
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Advanced Taster

Re: Fresh Face with a Wild Turkey Question

Thought I'd bump this because I ran across several bottles of 'a WT 12 yo' but the packaging just doesn't look old at all. They're in square boxes, and from what I can remember, they look mostly like the pic below, and not the other pics I've seen of the older bottles.

At Wildturkeybourbon.com, it says this won a silver from the 2000 International Wine & Spirit Competition, so it can't be an old release, right? It looks to me to possibly be a shipment of a product that isn't supposed to be sold here in the US (Wildturkeybourbon.com says it's only available in Canada, Japan and duty free.

So, my question is, does anyone know about this modern WT 12 yo, and how it stacks up with the older ones everyone seems to rave about here? I'm pretty tempted just to grab a bottle regardless, but a little pre-purchase info never hurts.

Thanks!
    Ben

Grain on the Brain

Guru

Re: Fresh Face with a Wild Turkey Question

Grain Brain, I would go for it. 2000 is almost seven years ago, so there's nothing saying that is very current.

I wish I could find WT 12.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur