Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Opinion about JW Black Label

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • An excellent deluxe blend

27 32.14%
  • A mid class blend-there are far more betters

31 36.90%
  • Doesn't deserve to be claimed as "deluxe"

6 7.14%
  • Forget about Scotch blends and go for bourbon!

20 23.81%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JW Black Label

Guru

I also don't drink much scotch and I also really like JW Black. It is not the best scotch I ever tasted, but it is very good.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    I also don't drink much scotch and I also really like JW Black. It is not the best scotch I ever tasted, but it is very good.

Tim
    Same here. I rarely drink scotch, but I've always thought JW black was pretty good. But then again, it ain't bourbon!

Enthusiast
    I've had the blue, gold, black, green (ok it is pure malt) and red.

Apart from the red, which is pretty average, they're all about the same for me. I'm not a big fan of blends, but I will drink JWB on occasion.

I've actually got friends and family to taste the JW whiskies blind and generally the order is:

Gold
    Black
    =Blue, Green
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Guru

Re: JW Black Label

I for one would never refuse a Johnnie Walker Black.
    JWB was the first whisky that I liked.
    Before JWB, there was Seagrams Canadian, I could drink it with 7-Up but soda-pop gets old fast.
    I think the scotch ads in Playboy magazine influenced me when I was young, they always showed it on the rocks, and it looked so good.
    I don't remember any bourbon ads, but they always had those classic Jack Daniels ads. Those ads were better than the product.

Connoisseur

JW! I must admit I'm a little conflicted when it comes to blended scotch. JW black is a good choice for taste if you like a little smooth smokey-peatey in your daily dram. I don't think its up to the price unless you get it at discount. My preference would be to go with an Islay single malt. An Islay single malt in the same price range as JW Black would be an unfair comparison with the single malt winning hands down for me. Still, JW Black has its place on the shelf and if you really like it and you think the price fair then by all means enjoy it.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

JW Black is claimed to be largest selling "premium" blend in the world. It does hold it's own against most but if you really want something superior at close to the same price, go and find some BlacK Bottle 10. (if you like Islay whisky that is)
    Illuminati in training

Advanced Taster

I can say that the 200mL bottle of JW Black was probably the worst $10 I've ever spent. The nose is very medicinal, for lack of a better word. Mixed with ice and water, it doesnt taste too bad, as long as you dont swallow it. The finish is way too reminiscent of Chloraseptic sore throat spray. I tried to get myself to enjoy it but I've given up now. I will probably never buy any Johnnie Walker products again, or any more blended scotch for that matter.

Now single-malts, on the other had arent bad, although The Glenlivet 12 is the only SMS I've ever had, but it was head and shoulders above JWB.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but it just aint my thing.

Eric

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    Now single-malts, on the other had arent bad, although The Glenlivet 12 is the only SMS I've ever had, but it was head and shoulders above JWB.
    My guess, then, is that you wouldn't like peated single malts like Talisker (from Skye), Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin (from Islay), or Highland Park (from Orkney). JWB allegedly contains some Talisker in the blend, for instance, and I've certainly noted a bit of peat when I've tasted it.

When the malt is dried over burning peat, the smoke finds its way into the finished whisky - and this often gives it a bit of a medicinal character.

(FYI, I love both peated and unpeated single malts!)

Glenlivet is a classic Speyside single malt - little or no peat, and at least some of it is aged in sherry casks. Others in that vein would include Aberlour, Glenrothes, and Macallan; note that Macallan "Fine Oak" is aged only in bourbon barrels.

As for blended Scotches, a favorite of mine is Compass Box Asyla. It is definitely not JWB!
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

So the medicinal taste in JWB is also referred to as peat? I guess if I want to try any more blends, or SMS for that matter, I'll look for one without a strong peat presence.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was told by the liquor store clerk that McClellands Highland single malt was a good beginner scotch. Locally its only about $18 for a 750mL bottle. Any thoughts or comments on this one?

Eric

Guru

Post Re: JW Black Label

It is my recollection that the predominant flavoring whisky in JWB is Cardhu. I also seem to recall that the SMS purists decry the fact that JW uses up so much of the precious Cardhu for blending stock and releases so little of it as single malt. It is supposed to be a great whisky.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur