Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Opinion about JW Black Label

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • An excellent deluxe blend

27 32.14%
  • A mid class blend-there are far more betters

31 36.90%
  • Doesn't deserve to be claimed as "deluxe"

6 7.14%
  • Forget about Scotch blends and go for bourbon!

20 23.81%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JW Black Label

Enthusiast

Re: JW Black Label

I've tried JW Black and although it's not to my taste, I see why people would like it. Cardhu I've tried and was underwelmed...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Back when I was a scotch drinker, in my childhood, it was mostly cheap blends (Usher's, Passport, Scoresby), so when I had me some JW Black, I realized that blended scotch could be so much more. I still prefer it to all of the other majors.

I think it's ridiculous, as some people do, to compare single malts and blends, and declare singles superior. They're simply two different kinds of whiskey and should be judged on their own terms.

When you think about it, the U.S. has blends, but not any really top shelf ones, and the Canadians don't make any "straights." The Scots, Irish and Japanese make both fine blends and fine singles. Good for them.

If you must compare single malts to blends, compare a cheap single malt to a first rate blend and see if you still think singles are inherently superior.

Disciple

I can't vote. It has been an awfully long time since I had the JWB. I remember liking it, but not liking its price point. It is cheaper now, I think. Every time I see it on the shelf, frequently that is, I think about buying it. So far I haven't but I think I should get a bottle. Probably next time I see it...

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I haven't had it in a long time either, so I won't comment on that expression. Recently I did have some Red label, it was a Christmas gift since normally I would buy other things (not necessarily more expensive, just different, e.g., I bought a reputed blend called Gordon Highlanders I am very pleased with).

I found the Red Label very good, it had a good round taste and the malts, while certainly not well-aged (I'd guess most were 8-10 years old) were balanced, fruity, lightly smoky.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-18-2007 at 08:14.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Funny, but I've never bought a bottle of JWB, yet I always seem to have one around. I've received it as a gift and have rescued bottles from non-drinking friends, who themselves received it as a gift, which is how I obtained the bottle in my possession now.

Disciple

A friend of a friend bunkered a lot of JWB here in Japan back in the 70s and 80s during what is called the Bubble Economy. At that time is was viewed as a super premium brand and was very expensive. Now it is fairly inexpensive, maybe a little more than $20 US.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru

A Persian friend of mine said in the Middle East you have to be careful when buying JWB over there because there are a lot of fakes.
    The last one I had was about 8 years ago a friend gave it to me for Christmas.

Disciple

I picked up a bottle the other day after reading this thread.

Nice smoke, not enough of it IMHO. Nothing wrong with the stuff really, but I was underwelmed.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

I can't quite decide whether I like Walker Black or Cutty Sark better. I buy Cutty though because it's under $20 but Walker Black is over $30. I like J&B best with soda but it doesn't hold up to Cutty or Walker straight. Maybe my taste is strange because most folks I know won't drink Cutty Sark straight.

Connoisseur

Cutty is presumed to have the lowest percentage of scotch in it. I've heard as low as 15% so the blender must be hitting your flavor profile pretty well.
    Illuminati in training