Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Opinion about JW Black Label

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • An excellent deluxe blend

27 32.14%
  • A mid class blend-there are far more betters

31 36.90%
  • Doesn't deserve to be claimed as "deluxe"

6 7.14%
  • Forget about Scotch blends and go for bourbon!

20 23.81%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JW Black Label

Enthusiast

Re: JW Black Label

I answered excellent deluxe blend because I like this whiskey quite a bit. I didn't like scotch untill I tried this. I bought a handfull of scotch minis, blends and single malts, and JWB is the one that impressed my newbie palate. Along with the light sweet background I get a spice, then I guess a peat note and then It trails away nicely. I'm a fan of this one right now.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PAspirit1 View Post
    I answered excellent deluxe blend because I like this whiskey quite a bit. I didn't like scotch untill I tried this. I bought a handfull of scotch minis, blends and single malts, and JWB is the one that impressed my newbie palate. Along with the light sweet background I get a spice, then I guess a peat note and then It trails away nicely. I'm a fan of this one right now.
    Agreed. It has a wonderfully balanced flavour.

Connoisseur

Having my first glass of Dewar's Special Reserve 12 right now, and I might even like it better. More sweet malt and less smoke, but still a wonderful balance.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Having my first glass of Dewar's Special Reserve 12 right now, and I might even like it better. More sweet malt and less smoke, but still a wonderful balance.
    So what is the verdict? JWB or Dewars 12? I have not yet had Dewars 12. I really like JWB though, an excellent blend

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    So what is the verdict? JWB or Dewars 12? I have not yet had Dewars 12. I really like JWB though, an excellent blend
    Johnnie Black, in my opinion. Smoother and more pleasant, but also more balanced. Greater finesse.

Advanced Taster

There was a time when we drink a lot of blended scotch- maybe because we never heard of single malt or SMS is quite expensive for us back then. Our choices of blended scotches were:

Cutty Sark
    JB
    Chivas Regal

with Chivas Regal reserved for special occasions.

I started sampling the JW later. My staple is JWR only because I can afford it. On special occasion its JWB and once or twice we open a bottle of the Blue. I was not impressed with the Blue at all and its overprice. Our house remodelling contractor gave me the Gold and I suspected right away that I paid him more than I should. Gold was better than the Blue and cheaper I think.

Connoisseur

Yes, Gold is less expensive then the Blue. Not many people will open a +$150 bottle a second time if they didn't like it the first go round so at least it shows you were trying. I like the Blue very much, far more then the Gold. Red I've managed to avoid for almost 30 years but I doubt it has gotten better in that time.
    Illuminati in training

Advanced Taster

I have tried all of them, and GREEN is the best in my opinon

JW Black is about the most I would spend on a blend, as for little more money you are getting into some good single malts. I really like JW Black and place it above its similarly priced competotors, but for $14 I can get McIvor blended scotch that I prefer over JW Red for drinking straight. There is always White Horse and Teacher's as well, which are far better buys than JW Black for everyday drinking, unless....you are wealthy. JW Black is worth every penny if you can scrape up the pennies. My bottle lasted maybe 4 days as I couldn't stay out of it.
    Last edited by Dranac Lihp; 05-15-2008 at 21:56.