Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: George Dickel

Virtuoso

Re: George Dickel

I don't think it's a "hillbilly" image problem so much as the giant marketing machine behind JD. The masses buy into the marketing, while those who really know look for George instead.

I haven't bought any JD since... well, when I was underage. Although, based on the taste of Silver Select that I had (thanks Chuck!), I'd at least consider getting some JD Single Barrel.

As for long-necked bottles, I like them - and that beautiful Saz Jr. bottle has an even longer neck than GD #12.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The marketing machine behind Dickel, Diageo, is many times larger than the one behind JD, but it hasn't been brought to bear.

Apprentice

JD has an image as the bad boy of liquors that appeals to many(insert familiar Robin Williams quote). It also has a readily identifiable taste, even for those who don't know what they are tasting. And then there's Coke. For some reason these two liquids blend together like no other(I don't think I'm alone in this opinion). It makes an incredibly simple cocktail, and it's also very easy to say, no matter how drunk you are. If it weren't for Coca-Cola, I don't think Jack Daniel's would have near the sales it does. What I am getting at here is that JD is for those who like to drink, GD is for those who like to drink Tennesee Whiskey.

Guru

I like George Dickel #12. I don't like Jack Daniels. Nuff said!
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Virtuoso

The only Dickel I have ever had was the BHC issue. It was too weak and sweet for my taste. One of these days I would like to give Dickel 12 a try. I have heard good things about it on here. I 'grew up' on JD but would not touch it now with a 10 ft pole. IMHO, JD is way too young, unrefined, and lacks much in way of taste (in more ways than one). However, it is quite amazing the market and marketing amassed by & for JD. It continues to exercise a very strong 'macho' appeal to guys (and gals) down here in my vicinity.

When the discussion of whiskey and/or bourbon comes up at my workplace, every guy under 30 has nearly the same comment: "when it comes to bourbon, it's Jack for me", or, "Jack is the only bourbon I like", or, "Jack is my favorite bourbon". For a while it got on my nerves and I tried my best to 'educate' the poor, young fools. However, after a while I just gave up. They will have to learn the same way I did.......age, wisdom and a desire for something much, much better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lar03 View Post
    ... and it's also very easy to say, no matter how drunk you are.....
    That made me chuckle...for in comedy there is truth....

Apprentice

George D is one of my favorite all time pours. Like rye, always have to have a bottle on hand.