Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Post is uncorked bourbon(1964) still good

Hello. First timer here with a question about Jim Beam collectable decanters. I recently inherited a large collection of old decanters and approx. 9 are unopened. They're all from 60's-70's, all are jim beam, with exception of an early times(1976) and an Old Fitzgerald(1976) Wondering if bourbon is still good (cork/seal seems to be good) Does bourbon continue to get better with age or ???
    Any suggestions about good site to sell this very aged bourbon???
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Guru
    The bourbon in your unopened decanters should be just fine (depending on how they were kept). I recently tasted a 90 year old rye whiskey that was in perfect condition. If you want to unload them, most people use E-Bay. You can check there to see what they are currently going for.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Wondering if bourbon is still good (cork/seal seems to be good) Does bourbon continue to get better with age or ???
    Any suggestions about good site to sell this very aged bourbon???
    Bourbon does not change much with age. To keep it simple, no, it does not improve with age like the right wine can. There is the risk of spoilage or evaporation with age though. If the cork seal it intact, and the decanter is still full or has evaporated very little, then generally the bourbon is good. If there has been significant evaporation (more than 1/4), the bourbon will usually be nasty. It is also important that the decanter/bottle has spent most of its life upright. Prolonged contact with the cork will spoil bourbon as well.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Taster
    I've recently won six old decanter auctions on ebay (Old Cabin Still and Old Fitzgerald Prime from the late '60s early '70s). They were all excellent! As long as they're stored upright (minimal contact with the cork is the thing), it should be delicious. The Old Fitzgerald should be especially good, since it comes fromSW stock.

Connoisseur
    As long as they were corked properly they should be great. But also once bourbon is out of the wood, it doesn't age any more. A bottle from '63 kept in good condition should be just as was in '63. Enjoy! If you do wish to sell someone here may wish to take if off your hands or trade. Or you can always use Ebay. It's a common method.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Enthusiast
    THe only exception to the above would be the Old Fitzgerald. They usually dont do well in decanters and you should mail it to me so I can dispsose of it for you.

Taster

Re: is uncorked bourbon(1964) still good

My father in-law had a large bottle of CClub (opened) and kept it in the closet for close to 30yrs thinking that he had improved the contents to angelic beverage status. He said that he dug out and presented this rare and dusty screw cap bottle to very special guests at a party, that he was trying to impress. On a quiet day in Scardale you can still hear a faint echo of laughter bouncing back from Manhattan.