Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Sam Houston??

Taster

Sam Houston??

Well i found a nice whole in the wall liquor store that carries a lot of diff bourbons, some i've never heard about.. anyways, they have the sam houston, got a lil write up under it.. just wondered if this is any good.. like $29 a fifth..

The Sam Houston with a neck tag that state its age (10 years) and batch # (especially an early one) is very good. The current one has dispensed with the age statement, making one suspect it's not the same bourbon.
    McLain & Kyne, its non-distilling bottler, did the same thing with the original Jefferson's Reserve 15yo, which became the lesser, younger Jefferson's Reserve Very Old. They later began bottling an even younger (just plain) Jefferson's.
    McLain & Kyne and its 'portfolio' was recently purchased by Castle Brands.
    Tim

Enthusiast
    I tried some Sam Houston about 6 months ago, I think it was the non-age statement version. I don't say this often, but it was Nasty! Not just lame or uninteresting, but really bad. Of course this is just my lowly opinion...
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    I have not had the newer version yet, but have had many of the older. I thought they were fantastic. You'll still see these plentiful on the shelf. Pricing is really wacky on this brand. I have paid or seen it anywhere from $13 to $35. The average seems to be at $30.

JOE

Guru
    I got the Sam Houston 10 yo "very small batch" Batch #9 Bottle #579,... and I was not overly impressed. I call it Bourbon Light

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    I tried some Sam Houston about 6 months ago, I think it was the non-age statement version. I don't say this often, but it was Nasty! Not just lame or uninteresting, but really bad. Of course this is just my lowly opinion...
    I had a similar experience... ended up dumping out the bottle. Before I did, I checked the cork for any evidence of taint, but all appeared normal (except for the taste).
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    The Sam Houston with a neck tag that state its age (10 years) and batch # (especially an early one) is very good. The current one has dispensed with the age statement, making one suspect it's not the same bourbon.
    McLain & Kyne, its non-distilling bottler, did the same thing with the original Jefferson's Reserve 15yo, which became the lesser, younger Jefferson's Reserve Very Old. They later began bottling an even younger (just plain) Jefferson's.
    McLain & Kyne and its 'portfolio' was recently purchased by Castle Brands.
    I always learn something coming to these boards and that is why I keep coming back! I have a bottle of Sam Houston that I haven't opened yet and it is the 10yr, batch #41, bottle #1952. I didn't realize there was a bottling out there without the age statement. I'm glad I have the better of the two. Now I want to open it...