Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Newbie needs recommendations...

Hello, I'm new to the forums here and relatively new to the world of bourbon. I'm in search of a new bottle, which brought me here. But I certainly plan to stick around in what looks to be a nice little community yall got going here.

So anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation. So far, I've had a bottle of Woodford Reserve and a bottle of Knob Creek. I much prefer Knob Creek. There's something about the Woodford Reserve that just doesn't resonate with me. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't do it for me. I like to drink my bourbon either with a couple of pieces of ice, or straight, depends on my mood. I've also had a glass of Blanton's on a couple of occasions, as well as Jefferson's Reserve, both of which I found very nice.

So what I'm looking for is something that will be a bit of a step up from the Knob Creek, but that won't be too much of a step up in price. I want a good bourbon, but not something I feel like I have to justify to the wife, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the recommendations, and thanks for having me in your forum.

Advanced Taster

Re: Newbie needs recommendations...

Welcome aboard! Some great one's to try, in no particular order Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, Elmer T lee, Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995, Ancient Ancient Age 10 STAR. Each one is less than $25.00, so you won't be out if one doesn't catch your fancy.

Guru

Try a bottle of Eagle Rare, 10 yr Old. Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel can stand up to Blanton's and is much less in price where I am. Keep trying these and your present Knob Creek,then do yourself a favor and revisit the Woodford.

Give it another chance. It may not turn out to be a favorite but it deserves a second look.

Good Luck with your search.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

What you are asking for and what so many of us gave a blanket recommendation for is Russells Reserve at 101 proof. They lowered the proof, but not the price, if you run across a RR 101, It is a prize.

Welcome to the forum.

Enthusiast

Ummmmmm.....Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel?

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Chaz7,
    I hope you mean AAA 10 year old, not 10 star.
    The 10 Star is not even in the same class. (IMHO)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm not sure of the going price in New Orleans, but you might like to try Baker's.

I would also strongly recommend you give Old Grand Dad 114 a try.

Also:
    Eagle Rare Single Barrel
    Elmer T Lee Single Barrel
    Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve
    Weller 12yo
    Van Winkle 10yo
    Old Fitz 1849

That (along with the other's recommendations) should give you a good start. Let us know what you try and how it suits you.

Enthusiast

As I read your post, I also thought of Wild Turkey Russell Reserve at 101 proof. Don't worry about the fact that it is being bottled now at 90, if you like it, there are other WT premium bottles to try.

The Old Rip Van Winkle (or Pappy's) is also a good one to try; an excellant introduction to a wheater. If "rich" or "sweet" is something you like about KC, this might be a good one. If "tangy" or "spicy" is more something you've thought enjoyable, I'll second the OGD 114, which should be cheaper than KC. Not that those characteristics aren't in all of those bourbons, just a little emphasis in different pours.

At less than Blanton's, you might look for Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare; don;t really know what's in your area.

You might just cruise through some old threads on the board, to see if anything sparks your interest.

Bob

Advanced Taster

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I think I have plenty of recommendations to get me going now. I'm actually in San Francisco now, on account of the hurricane, so I'm not sure what the going rates are around here. I'm heading back to New orleans by year's end. There were some fairly good prices around there. $23 for Knob Creek. $43 for Blantons.

I wish I were a little more schooled in describing what I like, but that's why I'm hear, to learn a bit. I'll let you all know what I end up buying and tell you how I like it. I think I'll head out to the store in a little while.

Thanks.

Advanced Taster

Mr. Ed-
    No, interestingly enough I picked up a 10year in Ky recently, and over and over I tried them both and each time I was surprised by the outcome.I must say it wasn't a runaway win, on the contrary it was quite subtle. Of course, you know the old saying about opinions and this one is mine. But another reason is AAA 10STAR is widely available. I also forgot Old Grand Dad 114, another value. Sorry I forgot to quote you Ed on this reply. Regardless, it appears Newbie has his work cut out with some excellent suggestions from all!