Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JTS Brown

Hybrid View

**DONOTDELETE**

JTS Brown

I am looking for jts brown bourbon as discussed in the film 'the hustler'.<br>Any information would be greatly appreciated.<br>Many thanks.<br>Mark Sinclair<br><br>Mark Sinclair

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: jts brown

See John Lipman's reply under the Fighting Cock inquiry. JTS Brown is made by Heaven Hill as well.

--Chuck Cowdery

Advanced Taster

thank you Chuck...by the way, what do you think of JTS Brown?

I haven't had it in a long time, but it's Heaven Hill whiskey, so I wouldn't expect any surprises.

A peripheral story: many years ago I tried my hand at songwriting. Some friends of mine had a band and they picked up one of my songs. It was a thrill to hear it performed, but that was pretty much the end of that song, my songwriting career, and that band. I do, however, remember the band's name: JTS Brown.

Enthusiast

I realize this is a VERY old post. I found it in a search figuring that you knowledgable Bourbonians had already discussed JTS Brown and what the brand was during the era of The Hustler. Predictably, I was not disappointed.

I love that after Minnesota Fats asks for his liquor, a glass and some ice, Fast Eddie asks Preacher to get him a bottle of "JTS Brown...no glass...no ice." I realize this has been discussed elsewhere, but, for what it's worth, perhaps the morality lesson of The Hustler is really: don't drink straight from the bottle. At least if you're playing pool for money.

So...has anyone figured out the name of Minnesota Fats' whiskey? I've wondered for years. It sounds something like "White Tappen Whiskey" or "White Tap and Whiskey." I thought I would finally find out when I purchased the DVD, since it has subtitles, but the subtitles omit that line!

You mention The Color of Money, in which Fast Eddie has aged 25 or so years and presumably defeated his demon alcohol by...selling liquor and frequenting bars? Anyway, am I remembering correctly that he also sells labels of top shelf stuff that can be placed over bottom shelf bottles? Does this (presumably illegal) practice really occur? It seems that the only advantage would be falsely labeling sealed bottles; open bottles could just be cut or exchanged with other liquor. Also, the bottle and label style would have to be very similar. Finally - it's been a while since I've seen it - do I remember correctly that one of he labels is Wild Turkey, or did my fondness for WT 101 plant a false memory in my cerebral bourbon center?

Re:JTS Brown

I believe what he says is "White Tavern Whiskey", but I can find no reference to any real brand by that name.

It is "White Tavern" and I believe we are meant to ponder the possibility that it is a placebo, which contains no actual alcohol, that has been prepared by Fats and his associates for that purpose. He certainly shows no indication that he has consumed any alcohol as the game continues.

Enthusiast

"White Tavern." Thanks! I am sure you are right about the placebo theory. As you cite, not only does Fats seem unaffected, but he says somewhat ominously and emphatically to Preacher, "Get it at Johnny's."

I am informed that there is, in fact, a "White Tavern Whiskey." Heaven Hill owns the brand. But that doesn't negate my theory about its significance in the movie, especially with the ominous, "get it at Johhny's."

Novice

It's funny.. I've watched The Hustler at least a billion times in my life, but hadn't ever considered the idea that Fats' whiskey wasn't whiskey.

I grew up watching it and thinking it was a movie about pool. I hadn't watched it in years, and bought the DVD at Target a few months ago and watched it again. It's not a movie about pool at all. The pool is incidental. It's funny what ten or twenty years of perspective do to a movie.

As an aside, in the 1959 Walter Tevis novel ("The Hustler"), it was a little different.. it wasn't White Tavern whiskey, it was White Horse (I assume it's White Horse Blended Scotch) from page 39:

Then he pulled a ten-dollar bill out of his pocket, handed it to a thin nervous man in a black suit, who was watching the game, and said, "Preacher, I want White Horse whiskey. And ice. And a glass. And you get yourself a fix with the change; but you do that after you come back with my whiskey."
    Eddie grinned, liking the feel of this, the getting ready for action. He fished out a ten himself. "J. T. S. Brown bourbon," he said to the thin man. Then he leaned his cue stick against the table, unbuttoned his cuffs, and began rolling up his shirt sleeves. Then he stretched out his arms, flexing the muscles, enjoying the good sense of their steadiness, their control, and he said, "Okay, Fats. Your break".

- Jeff