Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Talking Just a little question...

Hi there ^_^

Well im very new to drinking in general (Just turned 18 lol) but ive found i quite like my bourbon. I love my Jim Beam Black (probably a family thing, cause everyone drinks it xD plus a couple o'friends) and i dont really have the money to afford more 'premium' brands (id only be inclined to drink them if someone bought them for me).

But anyways, my question is how is Jim Beam green and yellow label different from the white and the black label?

Virtuoso
    Green label: aged five years (rather than four for the white).
    Yellow label: rye whiskey, aged four years.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Welcome aboard bluelady!

I personally find the Green label to be easier drinking than the Black, even though it hasn't been aged as long. And you can normally pick it up for about $35 if you look hard enough...sometimes cheaper.
    Even though it's only 37% in Australia (opposed to 40% in the US), it is still a pretty good pour.
    Another bourbon I would reccomend to you along those lines is Cougar XS (Xtra Strength), which you can often pick up on special for about $30. Very good value in my opinion!

Where in Australia are you??

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Novice
    intresting...so the green label is just aged longer than the white, but i dont really understand whats happening with the yellow label lol ^_^;; im new to these terms...

and i live in the brisbane area

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelady
    ...but i dont really understand whats happening with the yellow label lol ^_^;; im new to these terms...
    I just spent like five minutes typing getting ready to blast you for posting that you are underage. Then I took another look, my bad...

The yellow label is a rye based whiskey. Bourbon whiskey is composed of (normally) three grains: corn, rye and malted barley or wheat. The balance (to be legally called bourbon) is at least 51% corn, with the remainder being the other grains. Rye whiskey simply changes the mashbill a little: at least 51% rye, corn and malted barley making up the remainder. Generally, the higher the rye content, the "spicier" the whiskey is.

Hope that helps some!!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    Welcome Bluelady.....It's always good to see another (Brisbane) Aussie on the site

I can highly recomend the Rye - it's probably my favourite Beam product after Bookers (Bookers is their super premium and very expensive top shelf bourbon)

If you're paying around $40 a bottle for black label, there are plenty of different bourbons on our market at or around that price...it pays to experiment.
    I also highly recommend Nelson County - it's readily available at most BWS stores for around $25 and is exceptional value. It's produced by Heaven Hill Distilleries.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    I just spent like five minutes typing getting ready to blast you for posting that you are underage. Then I took another look, my bad...
    I know this site posts a "legal age" requirement just to be safe (and your point, Flash, is that she's legal there) but we don't promote drinking here. We promote knowledge and there should never be a "legal age" for knowledge.

Novice
    yep...i live in Australia where the legal limit is nice and low

thankyou for your help guys ^_^ i think i now understand

at the moment i dont really have the money to be experimenting though (my older friend buys the Black label for me, i only really have enough money to buy bottles under $15...so small really...)

Another couple of great bourbons for the price in Oz bluelady....
    Elijah Craig 12yo and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Both are around the price of Black Label Beam, and you can find them at your local friendly Liquorland store...(shameless plug that one)

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    We promote knowledge and there should never be a "legal age" for knowledge.
    Chuck-

You will not find a soul on this board who believes this more than I do. It is just that I understand how much personal resources people have in this place, and I wouldn't want some stupid infraction to put a hold on anything.

In short: I agree.