Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

What is required to legally distill?

Searching the forums answered a lot of questions I had, but I didn't see this one (which is just curiousity). What does it take to legally distill your own bourbon?

I poked around inside the Internal Revenue Code, and it looked to me like you need a $10,000 ATF bond for distillation and storage. You must not distill at a residence. You have to register your stills (and I assume get get them inspected). I assume there are probably local laws regulating it that would vary based on your residence. Am I looking in the right place? Anything big I'm missing here?

Connoisseur

Re: What is required to legally distill?

OH MY GOD. What is required? MONEY. Lots and lots of it. I have been actively persuing this subject, and all that I get is roadblock after raodblock.

You want to see something amazing? Check THIS out.

Enthusiast

Jeremy is right. Money to start up and money to stay in compliance. I am afraid the days of micro-distilleries are far far away.

If you want to mess around with distilling, I would suggest getting an ethanol permit. My understanding is that the regs have been loosened as to this type of product.

Connoisseur

The other thing is that you pretty much have to have the cash in hand. Look at it like this. If you are a bank, or a potential investor, would you want to put money into someplace where there is no potential of profit for years? I mean while the whiskey is aging, you still have to pay taxes on it every year without getting anything from it. You are also going to need to payroll a tax lawyer or two. Red tape? Try building a place to meet ATF, FDA, EPA and OSHA requirements all at the same time!!

Please don't take what I am saying as discouragement, but I have been putting a lot of hours into research on this...