Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Availability of VOB BIB

For some time (though not recently) I had been hearing rumors that Barton was going to discontinue the 100 proof expression of Very Old Barton. Can anyone tell me if this has happened? I can't get it here and it's always on my Kentucky shopping list. Will I be able to get some when I'm there in September, do I need to make arrangements now, or is it already too late?

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    As of 1 month ago (Sampler) it was still on the shelf at every liquor store in KY that I visited.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    For some time (though not recently) I had been hearing rumors that Barton was going to discontinue the 100 proof expression of Very Old Barton. Can anyone tell me if this has happened? I can't get it here and it's always on my Kentucky shopping list. Will I be able to get some when I'm there in September, do I need to make arrangements now, or is it already too late?
    Down at the Sampler, Greg Davis of Barton told us that yes, the 100 VOB would be going away at least for a while because of low Bourbon stocks. I wouldn't panic though as I'm sure the supply in the pipeline will hold up for a year or two. (based on still being able to find WT-RR-101)
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Down at the Sampler, Greg Davis of Barton told us that yes, the 100 VOB would be going away at least for a while because of low Bourbon stocks. I wouldn't panic though as I'm sure the supply in the pipeline will hold up for a year or two. (based on still being able to find WT-RR-101)
    I don't know how many of you saw my article in WHISKY about the bourbon shortage, but it's a real problem. It is the reason Evan Williams dropped its age statement and now this. The problem is that because of the long aging cycle, distillers can't just ramp up production to meet demand. Right now demand is strong and growing, but who knows what it will be like in six years?

Essentially, all the distillers can do is make these kinds of adjustments. Most also have been increasing production at a rate of about 5% per year.

Enthusiast
    I need to stock up on VOB BIB. What a sick value. I get a floral/heather component to the nose that makes me wonder if this wouldn't be a good bridge whiskey for Speyside malt drinkers (and you can get 3-4 bottles for the price of one!)
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Connoisseur
    Still in stock at Toddy's as of 10-30-6

I agree with Jake...quite a value...and nothin' finer than to sip VOB bond, sittin' in the gazebo on a quiet October evening, while enjoying the occasional waft from the Barton fermenters...remembering times past...

Damn!...life is good!

dp

And you though I'd just be hold up nights in the motel room watchin' TV, right?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdog
    I agree with Jake
    Watch...out...for...the...THUNDERBOLT!
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Already in Middle Tennessee VOB "100 Proof" -- without a BIB designation anywhere on the bottle I can find -- is showing up, at least in the 750ml sizes. There is still some actual BIB around, but apparently not in the distribution pipeline.
    Tim

Enthusiast
    Any notable flavor differences? I mean, I'd grab bonds for completeness' sake, but I want to buy these more for powering through than for bunkering.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Already in Middle Tennessee VOB "100 Proof" -- without a BIB designation anywhere on the bottle I can find -- is showing up, at least in the 750ml sizes. There is still some actual BIB around, but apparently not in the distribution pipeline.
    Do they still carry an age statement?