Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JB Rye?

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

JB Rye?

I like Saz 18 and VWFFR very much (thanks to this here forum I've even heard of them!) and have been toying with the idea of buying JB Rye. I MAY have had some waaayyy back but I suspect that coloured label (that makes me feel sick) has put me off!

Is it decent stuff enough stuff or one to avoid at all costs? I don't mind Rittenhouse or WT Rye but would not class them anywhere close to the aforementioned jems.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur
    It is good but not in the same league as Saz 18 or VWFFR. I think I prefer WT Rye to it as well.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Enthusiast
    Rittenhouse, Saz Jr., and WT are good picks for cheaper rye. Fleichmann's is very amusing and different also if you can get it.

I found JB rye to have a wonderful nose, but tastes like water. No flavor or body whatsoever. Sorry to be cruel, just my opinion. Get the Rittenhouse or spend another $5 for a Saz Jr.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Taster

Re: JB Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I found JB rye to have a wonderful nose, but tastes like water. No flavor or body whatsoever.
    I agree that the Beam Rye has a great nose, and it's downhill from there.

I much prefer Old Overholt. While it's not as complex as the 6 yr Saz, it still has great flavor and a wonderfully long finish, and it's only $11.30 a bottle here.

Enthusiast

Dittos on the Canadian Club Classic 12 , Hightower. I just tried some tonight and loved it, and did the search engine thing to find out that this is the only thread it's mentioned on. Well let me go on record as saying this is mighty tasty stuff, balanced with good rye character and a hint of vanilla.

Enthusiast

Talking Re: JB Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    Dittos on the Canadian Club Classic 12 , Hightower. I just tried some tonight and loved it, and did the search engine thing to find out that this is the only thread it's mentioned on. Well let me go on record as saying this is mighty tasty stuff, balanced with good rye character and a hint of vanilla.
    I tend to completely ignore Canadian whiskey. Is this easily available? I might go an git me some!
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    I tend to completely ignore Canadian whiskey. Is this easily available? I might go an git me some!
    It seems to be, and is fairly inexpensive in KY, anyway. Seems like it's around or under $20. Sure there are $20 bottles of bourbon I like more, but there are $20 bottles I like less.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Just last night we stopped into a bar known for hamburgers. Behind the bar they had JB white, Maker's Mark and JB rye. I oredered the rye as I had never tasted this spirit before. I enjoyed the nose. Took my first sip and it reminded me of Old Grand BIB. The same sort of mustiness is present in the bottle. I happen to like that part of OGD so I give JB rye a thumbs up. I am sure a bottle of this will end up in the bunker.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru
    Dittos. When I tried JB rye about four years ago, I ended up drinking the last half of the bottle mixed with ginger beer.

I would add that I like the Rittenhouse BIB better than the Wild Turkey. The Rit has a fresher, livelier taste.

The main thing in Wild Turkey's favor is its availability in Prescott, AZ. In contrast the proprietor of Liquor Coop couldn't even find Rittenhouse in his distributor's list. I have a bottle only through the good graces of an out-of-state friend.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    Thanks guys...

I think I'll give it a miss to be honest - I always hated that label anyway!
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!