Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JB Rye?

Enthusiast

JB Rye?

I like Saz 18 and VWFFR very much (thanks to this here forum I've even heard of them!) and have been toying with the idea of buying JB Rye. I MAY have had some waaayyy back but I suspect that coloured label (that makes me feel sick) has put me off!

Is it decent stuff enough stuff or one to avoid at all costs? I don't mind Rittenhouse or WT Rye but would not class them anywhere close to the aforementioned jems.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur
    It is good but not in the same league as Saz 18 or VWFFR. I think I prefer WT Rye to it as well.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Enthusiast
    Rittenhouse, Saz Jr., and WT are good picks for cheaper rye. Fleichmann's is very amusing and different also if you can get it.

I found JB rye to have a wonderful nose, but tastes like water. No flavor or body whatsoever. Sorry to be cruel, just my opinion. Get the Rittenhouse or spend another $5 for a Saz Jr.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Guru
    Dittos. When I tried JB rye about four years ago, I ended up drinking the last half of the bottle mixed with ginger beer.

I would add that I like the Rittenhouse BIB better than the Wild Turkey. The Rit has a fresher, livelier taste.

The main thing in Wild Turkey's favor is its availability in Prescott, AZ. In contrast the proprietor of Liquor Coop couldn't even find Rittenhouse in his distributor's list. I have a bottle only through the good graces of an out-of-state friend.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    Thanks guys...

I think I'll give it a miss to be honest - I always hated that label anyway!
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Enthusiast
    It's my least favorite rye. That said, it was also perhaps the cheapest, and I'm glad to have found out, given how few ryes I can get my hands on.

After all, they sell plenty of it, so some people must like it a lot.

Bob

Disciple
    I have some Jim Beam rye and while it is not the best, I wouldn't dump it out either. I have found Canada Dry ginger ale to be my favorite mixer for both rye and bourbon. I also tried Seagrams ginger ale and it isn't as good and also tried Schwepps ginger ale and wouldn't use it again if I live to be 110. Its Canada Dry or nothing for my mixed drinks!

Thomas

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I often enjoy a JB Rye - it's light and easy to drink....

Oh, and it's the only Rye sold en' mass in Australia

The only reason I've tried other Rye's is also because I learn't of them here and sought them out when overseas.

I have an open bottle, and I don't mind it at all. I prefer the WT rye, but havent seen it here for about 5 or 6 years. I like the higher proof of the WT rye, cant wait to try my Thomas Handy
    I also love Canadian Club Classic 12 year, do canadians have a high rye content??

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

Re: JB Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I found JB rye to have a wonderful nose, but tastes like water. No flavor or body whatsoever.
    I agree that the Beam Rye has a great nose, and it's downhill from there.

I much prefer Old Overholt. While it's not as complex as the 6 yr Saz, it still has great flavor and a wonderfully long finish, and it's only $11.30 a bottle here.