Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JB Rye?

Advanced Taster

Re: JB Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    i swear it's about $10 around here...or in Delaware...i was astounded and almost picked one up.

but i don't want to buy something and HAVE to resort to mixing!

at $10 a pop though, a worthy experiment...
    But the WT rye is only about $16. Good enough to drink neat; cheap enough to mix (if you like cocktails).

But staying on topic, yes I noticed the color change of the label; essentially muted. If it was me, I would have done something completely different if I was gonna make a change. But then again, I'm not in marketing.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Advanced Taster

I enjoy JB Rye. I like it better than OO, and it goes down easier than WT Rye. It is one of my favorite sipping whiskies. It's too light for mixing.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I had the early evening to myself last night whilst the wife was out at a Tuppaware party with a couple of her girlfriends

Planning to catch up on the final few episodes of Californication, I poured some ORVW 13yo Rye, but it didn't really suit my mood. Looking for something lighter, I spied a forgotten open bottle of JB Rye. I got four good healthy pours from it, once ice cube in each pour. Suited my mood perfectly - it was light, little to no burn, and hasn't left me feeling like crap this morning

Enthusiast

I have posted previously my great fondness for Jim Beam rye. There are two reasons for this - first, because I really like it, and second, because it is in part responsible for my getting to appreciate American whiskeys.

About ten years ago, a friend brought a bottle of Knob Creek as a hostess present. I hardly drank spirits at all then, mostly my homebrewed beer and wine, but I was really taken by this very nice bourbon, which I had never heard of. So I did what I often do with a new interest, I started reading all I could.

I got Jim Murray's then new Complete Book of Whiskey and was fascinated by what he wrote in the introduction to the chapter on rye whiskey (remember that this was 1997):

"Even in Kentucky it is rare to find a straight rye whiskey in bars and restaurants. When I do, that is my choice, no matter what bourbons are available. The reasons are twofold: first, you never know when you might see one again; second, it is probably my favorite whiskey type.

"I remember first entering the Talbot Tavern in Bardstown and there was the rapeflower yellow label of the Jim Beam rye shining like a beacon from the back of the bar like a beacon and calling to me like a siren: I couldn't take my eyes off it or my nose from the glass."

(Interesting that Beam is changing the label. Thanks, Larry, for posting that youtube link.)

Then Murray, whose palate has proven over the years to be a better guide for my tastes than others', including St. Michael's, goes on to write about JB rye:

"Beam ... makes the finest rye whiskey money can buy. It is under the Jim Beam label, which claims that the contents inside are "Mild and Mellow." If that is the case, I really don't know what mild and mellow is. This is a rye that refuses to take prisoners, a volcano of flavours erupting over the tastebuds, making for one of the world's great super-whiskeys. And mild and mellow it ain't. The supreme nose is rye-rich and oily, with perhaps a spring of lavender for balance. As soon as it lands on the palate, the oil spreads itself across the mouth for bitter-sweet fruitiness. The finish is rock-hard as the rye really gathers pace and some oak gets through as well. And this is at 80 proof! I'd love Beam to take a gamble and bring out a 101 version."

In the ten years since Murray wrote this , many, many more straight ryes have been released (in no small part because of his efforts), but he still loves it, and rates it a 93/100 in his 2007 Whisky Bible.

Now, just because Jim Murray gives it high praise doesn't make it a great whiskey, of course, but as I wrote above, I find his palate a good guide for my taste. I really like young but sufficiently aged whiskeys, and I love rye whiskey, and I love this one especially. There will always be a bottle in my cabinet. Well, actually, a decanter of it, as I buy it in the 1.75 liter and decant it.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Connoisseur

so, the parchment label is the new one...i assume no change from within...

there's a store in Claymont DE that has a ton of the lemon-blast yellow labels (about 8...and none of the newer labels). would those possibly be of different content than the new labels?

at $10.99, i think i'll buy both it and the Old Overholt. same price (but only one bottle of the OO)
    HUP!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There's no reason to think Beam changed the recipe because, according to them, they haven't changed anything in 212 years.

Enthusiast

Gotta admit, I really like the new rye packaging (and the new metal screwcaps on all of the basic Beam lineup).
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Any thoughts, Jake or others, why the return to these metal closures?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Any thoughts, Jake or others, why the return to these metal closures?

Gary
    I was just commenting on these the other night, they look good. As far as to why, I'm not sure of Beam's decision, but, they are likely lighter (which adds up when shipping by the thousands), they are recyclable (something to crow about when talking about 100% recyclable packaging), and they are likely to be harder to counterfeit(prevents unscrupulous types from refilling bottles).
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    As far as to why, I'm not sure of Beam's decision, but, they are likely lighter (which adds up when shipping by the thousands)
    And/or the vendor was able to supply them for 0.001 cents less per cap than the plastic jobs which, as you say, adds up when you buy the things by the gabazillion.

Larry
    I got the St Louis blues, I'm blue as I can get.
    I sent Louis to the liquor store, and he ain't come back yet.
    -Jimmy Johnson, "The Twelve Bar Blues"