Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: JB Rye?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: JB Rye?

When I got home from that NYC trip I still got a bad cold: maybe I SHOULD have had a bourbon after that walk!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I've never heard that about CR although the use of so many whiskies is entirely possible (I can't access the link you gave for some reason). I know for a fact that the new CR Cask No. 16 uses 50 whiskies because the label says so but I did not know that the other iterations of CR do as well.
    Gary
    I think the link doesn't work because I pasted it in. Any way try this or type it in. www.thebar.com
    Jamie

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I find that a very interesting claim, about the bourbons and ryes, and it's from an official source.

Presumably, "pre-blending" is a reference to Hiram Walker, the other big Canadian distillery (Canadian Club), which blends several different new-make whiskeys together before aging. Diageo (as successor to Seagram's) wants to make it sound bad, but roughly half of the Canadian industry does it that way and the other half does it the other way.

Hiram Walker, by the way, is now part of Jim Beam.

What I find interesting in the reference to bourbon is do they really mean bourbon? Or do they mean Canadian-made corn whiskey? Or do they mean both? I suspect both.

I forget what the limit is, but there is a limit on how much imported spirit (as in imported from the USA) they can use. Fifteen percent comes to mind, but I'm not sure.

The bulk of any Canadian, even a high-end brand such as CR, is nearly-neutral base whiskey, which is mostly or entirely made from corn.

This base whiskey would, to us, be whisky in only a technical sense. While bourbon is distilled at less than 80% ABV, Canadian (and Scotish) base whiskey is generally distilled at just slightly less than 95% ABV. That's why we call it "nearly neutral." Then it is aged for about three years in used barrels, which probably held bourbon at some point but which are used many times.

Canadian whiskey, especially the way Seagram's made it, is made very much like the way blended scotch is made, in the sense that a nearly-neutral base whiskey is used to soften the strong flavors of several flavoring whiskeys. In Scotland, of course, the flavoring whiskeys are all single malts. In Canada, malt whiskey is used but so are whiskeys made from rye, wheat and corn.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-17-2008 at 11:02.

Thanks Chuck, you know your stuff. So if Diego is already making 13 different Ryes to blend in RC they should be marketing straight rye pretty soon if they're on the ball.
    Last edited by burbankbrewer; 01-17-2008 at 11:34.
    Jamie

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Since the guy at Templeton claims his rye wasn't made by any of the usual suspects, is it possible he got somebody in Canada--Alberta Springs perhaps--to sell him some Canadian 100% rye? Nothing in the regs says straight rye has to be made in the USA, but I think the regs do require the label to identify country of origin if imported.

But I actually came here to refer back to the thread title. I finally picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Rye and I like it very much, light aging and 80 proof and all. In fact, I think its youth and low proof (easy to drink neat) are part of its appeal.

I like Rittenhouse in part because it tastes more like a bourbon. This really tastes like a rye.

Guru

I'm glad to hear someone else say it. I also like Jim Beam Rye.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Virtuoso

I got a JB Rye for the first time in years last week.

It's making really good Manhattans with flavors more akin to using ND Overholt than one gets using Saz, Rittenhouse, or WT ryes. I do have to be mindful of letting the drink shake or sit in the ice too long, though, as that 80 proof goes watery very easily.

I can't explain why, but it's WT Rye that I haven't had much success with in mixed drinks.

Roger

Enthusiast

I bought my first bottle of JB Rye for a cocktail party this weekend. I'm going to make Sazeracs.

I'm trying it out tonight. Man, I'm disappointed. For a rye, it is weak, thin, yet still manages to put me off with a sharp, raw flavor. It reminds me most of standard issue Ancient Age, which I did not like whatsoever.

Fortunately, I think it will mix well. I hate saying that. It's the ultimate defeat. It's like having your new car break down and someone telling you that "the back seat still makes a nice sofa."
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

Hey Doc? Did you get the new label or the glow-n-the-dark yellow old label??
    Not that it matters but maybe ones better than the other?

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Hey Doc? Did you get the new label or the glow-n-the-dark yellow old label??
    Not that it matters but maybe ones better than the other?

Tony
    I got the new label with the new cap design. I purposely stayed away from the old, mustard label. It looked too much like police tape.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut