Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Bourbon and cola?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like

120 46.69%
  • I don't like

85 33.07%
  • So so

52 20.23%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bourbon and cola

Myself, I enjoy it all neat. Have I become a Bourbon snob

I used to think anyone was welcome to try any of my bottles...I must admit that has changed...your welcome to try any of my bottles if you want to try it the way I want you to try it...and that's neat, maybe with an ice cube or two if you must.

I guess my problem is that some of these bottles were hard for me to get, either because of price or location, and I am just not convinced that a Bourbon and coke with PVW 20 is "that" much better than a Bourbon and coke with WT 101. Does starting with a better product still make a better drink when mixed with such a competitive flavor?

I have no problem if someone wants to mix Coke, or 7-UP with some of my bottles, just not all of them.

Todd

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Bourbon and cola

I agree 100%, Todd. Up to about $20 or 25 per bottle, people are welcome to mix if they must. But, if they want the expensive stuff, they better want to taste the bourbon.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Believe it or not, I used to drink gin and coke when I was younger. Much younger. It was really not that bad, and I enjoyed freaking out bartenders by asking for it. But bourbon and coke...Never!!

Advanced Taster

Bourbon and cola...uh, hold the cola. I'm not a fan of soft drinks invading my booze, just too sweet.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I drink one of these about once per year but I may increase that.

It is good I find with a meal where you won't have something sweet after. Recently it accompanied Domino's new Brooklyn-style pizza and the two went very well. (That reminds me to report on my recent encounter with Cincinnati chili).

You can splash in just a few ounces of cola and with lots of ice I find the drink is only moderately sweet.

Recently I made one with Weller 107 and it was very good, not only that, the distinctive Weller taste came through.

I've tried this with diet pop and it doesn't work, the real thing is better. Sometimes I mix regular and diet Coke 50/50, I figured I'd try that, I've heard about this guy who blends everything. Actually it's very good.

Gary

Lately, I've been on a 'mix-it-with-something' kick. I don't know why, I've just not wanted to think about the bourbon every time I pour it. A (rarely Coca-)cola-and-bourbon is enjoyable while settled in reading, for example.
    I almost exclusively use diet cola, and will pour any bourbon that strikes my fancy at the time -- I've even used Stagg, and mixed one with ER17 ('05) last night -- though it's a good way to get rid of seldom-poured/not-well-liked bottles, too.
    Ginger ale, I've found, goes pretty well with Scotch, either blended or single malt.
    Tim

Connoisseur

I never mix Cola with anything except Jack Daniel's or a "cheaper" bourbon. I have never mixed it with Weller or anything like that. To be honest, that would just feel wrong.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just curious on your reasoning on that.

Would it be that better liquor can't be detected in a mixed drink? (I am not disagreeing, just wondering why you feel that way).

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Just curious on your reasoning on that.

Would it be that better liquor can't be detected in a mixed drink? (I am not disagreeing, just wondering why you feel that way).

Gary
    To me, bourbon is meant do be drank neat. I can't see wasting Old Rip Van Winkle 107 in a glass of Coke! But, depending on what kind of mood I'm in or if I'm eating, I may pour some Jack Daniel's or maybe Fighting Cock, or Evan Williams in with some Coke and Ice. I don't do it all the time.

Well, there you go. What do I know?!
    Tim