Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Bourbon and cola?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like

120 46.69%
  • I don't like

85 33.07%
  • So so

52 20.23%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Bourbon and cola

Better ingredients, better...oh hold on thats pizza! What was I thinking?

While I'm probably not gonna start pouring my RR101 in coke, the different flavors or different bottlings will make a difference in the cocktail(can we call it that?), the (likely) higher proof of a premium pour will be less dilute in the finished drink than your average 80 proofer and the additional aging will give more of the vanilla and oak flavors to the profile.

I basically stopped drinking softdrinks a few years back, and had given up mixing bourbon with it damn near a decade ago. About a month ago someone had left a coke here and I thought I'd revisit the cocktail of my youth-just nasty, how did I manage to drink that back then....
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree that good bourbon should be drunk neat and would be lost in a cocktail. It is not that it wouldn't go well there, but there is a law of diminishing returns...

I find lesser liquors do go well in mixed drinks and so do complex blends of good and lesser liquors - which is really what cocktails are all about.

Gary

Virtuoso

For me it depends on the cocktail. I don't mix bourbon and Coke - but a Manhattan, Red Hook, Sazerac, or such can be quite a refreshing drink.

Normally I go with quality mid-shelf bottles. Even so, a Sazerac Cocktail made with 18yo Sazerac Rye or VWFRR is an experience in itself. If you mix a Manhattan with Stagg, you can definitely taste the difference (not to mention get snockered in a hurry, since mixing it takes away the burn that says "Slow Down").

I'm of the school that you should taste the booze in the cocktail.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

If I mix bourbon, its typically with ginger ale. To be specific, I'm not a big Makers Mark fan, but do enjoy it iced with ginger.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I don't drink bourbon with Coke. But, a few times when I've had maybe a very small bit of bourbon left in my glass (by very small, I mean 1/4 oz), done drinking for the evening, and not wanting to waste; I'll drop an equal amount or so of Coke in (if it's open and within arms reach), swirl it around and finish it off in one swig. I don't find this concoction unenjoyable (actually it can be soothing when the pipes are burning), but not something I would like in larger quantities or more frequently.

JOE

Guru

Bourbon and cola? No. But JD and Coke? yes. It's what I most often drink when in a bar. Jack can be found anywhere; even out here out in the sticks.
    Though I rarely drink it at home.

Taster

I am an avid bourbon and coke drinker. I really enjoy the flavor. I only mix with Coca-Cola (No diets or Pepsi - YUCK). I typically use less expensive bourbons to mix with. For example my favorite cheap mixer right now is W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7YO. I get 1.75 L for $19.99. I usually have a bourbon and coke when I come home from work. I will mix up a tall one and snack on some chips and dip, etc before dinner. I usually wait until after dinner to drink the more expensive bourbons neat. I guess I sort of consider that dessert.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain

Connoisseur

Smile Re: Bourbon and cola

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    I am an avid bourbon and coke drinker. I really enjoy the flavor. I only mix with Coca-Cola (No diets or Pepsi - YUCK). I typically use less expensive bourbons to mix with. For example my favorite cheap mixer right now is W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7YO. I get 1.75 L for $19.99. I usually have a bourbon and coke when I come home from work. I will mix up a tall one and snack on some chips and dip, etc before dinner. I usually wait until after dinner to drink the more expensive bourbons neat. I guess I sort of consider that dessert.

I love this post, I laughed out loud! Bourbon, Coke, Chips, Dip BEFORE dinner! Then, the expensive bourbon for dessert. Excellent!

Disciple

I voted 'Like it' thought I only very rarely drink it. Sometimes I is just the thing. I don't have any particular problem with mixing a top shelf bourbon. Just so long as the results are good. I not sure that a top shelf bourbon would make a good Bourbon and Coke, though. I have tried Booker's and Coke and didn't care for it. In fact, I tried it several times at several strengths. It just didn't do it for me.

I really haven't experimented with many bourbons in this drink. It isn't some thing I crave very often. So far, my favorite bourbon for this drink is I.W. Harper. Very nice on a hot summer day! I won't be seeing one of Those for a while!

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Apprentice

FWIW I prefer Tennessee (sp?) whiskeys w/ cola. Any bourbon I buy is too precious to mix w/ coke